NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labwindows/CVI OI crashes when running sequence on the deployed system

My Teststand Sequence runs fine on the development system. But when I run it on the target system using the Labwindows/CVI OI it sometimes just crashes and the Microsoft bugreporting tool comes up (see attached screenshot). If I run the OI out of the CVI development environment, it only shows a useless segmentation fault message when it crashes.  Any ideas, how to find the reason for the crashes ?   
Is there any option ( other  than making screenshots) to save the information collected by Microsoft  and to use it for finding the bug ?  
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,287 Views)
Does it seem to happen during Message Popup steps (or other steps that pop up panels created in CVI)?  If this is the case, try upgrading to the CVI 8.0 RTE.  There is a known problem with previous versions that appeared in the CVI OI with certain steps.

Allen P.
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,275 Views)
Hi Allen,
Yes it is a popup panel used for input of serial and part number in a customized preUUT callback. 
But installing But installing CVI runtime 8.0 doesn't solve the problem.
It still sometimes crashes and sometimes the popup panel looks hosed (see attached pictures).  In that case running the sequence was OK and the during the next run of the preUUT callback the panel looked OK again. But when closing the OI ,there were error messages  ( see attachment) .
It seems that there is some memory corruption going on, but where ?  The code in the preUUT callback seems to run fine on the development system ( neither crash nor corrupted panel) and is also used in two other sequences running on other PCs without showing that problem so far.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,256 Views)

Hmmm.... 'There is a known problem....'

Funny, I haven't heard about this.

What is the 'known problem' with popup panels and the Operator Interface?

Where was this published?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,211 Views)

More about the issue I suspected this may be related to (but is not in this case), there is a thread safety issue when dealing with ActiveX controls and CVI Panels being displayed over other CVI panels.  Sparadically, the application would crash.  This seemed to happen more often on hyperthreading machines.  The problem was traced to the CVI Run-Time Engine and was corrected in the CVI 8.0 RTE.

I will make a note to make sure a more formal document is produced to describe this issue and how to work around it.  Since the CVI RTE is backwards compatible, upgrading to the CVI 8.0 RTE (free upgrade at Drivers & Updates) will solve this issue.  You will not have to recompile any code.

Allen P.

NI

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,199 Views)