NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview control caption passed as parameter name

Hi,

Why is the Caption of a Labview control, when the control is assigned as a terminal on the VI connector, passed to Teststand as the parameter name ?

I would have expected the Label of the control to be the parameter name passed to Teststand.

In the past I've used the control's Caption to locally modify the front panel text, and the Label is used to represent the data's\variables name.

regards,

Gary.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,234 Views)

My guess is that it's because the terminal on the connector pane assumes the name of the caption. The LV adapter uses the connector pane to populate the parameter list.

My 2 cents,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,226 Views)

Hi,

The Label of a control is common to both front panel and block diagram, unlike the Caption which only appears on the front panel, so when using Labview with Teststand I tend spend most time in the Labview block diagrams manipulating the data variables by the Label name, i.e.. the variable name, not the Caption name which may have been added for information purposes on the front panel.

I've only asked because I'm curious about the reasoning behind the choice of using the Caption to identify the terminal on the connector pane.

Regards,

Gary.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,219 Views)

Hi Gary,

My name is Kevin and I am an Application Engineer at NIUK.

The original idea was to show the caption (if not empty) of a control instead of the label in case the user decides to localized the control by modifying the caption which we can dynamically change. The LV adapter stores both the caption and the label. The caption is only shown if it is not empty.

Changing the behavior to always show labels will not affect compatibility since we already store them. Most of the time, the label and the caption are the same and if they are not the same I don't see a problem with just showing the caption. I have never seen a VI that shows both the caption and the label at the same time and if the caption is different that is what it is shown instead of the label.

kind Regards

Kevin R
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK&Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,190 Views)