From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEw Ploymorphic VI as a Custom StepType

I've got a polymorphic VI that I'd like to make a custom steptype out of - so when a user drags it into their sequence from the insertion palette, they get to choose which instance. Right now, it looks like I have to choose the instance when I'm making the custom step type - which means I'll need to have as many custom steptypes as instances 😞  Anyone know how to do this?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,862 Views)

I don't know Mate. It seems like the LabVIEW VI link is pretty static. I bet you could do it with .Net instead of LabVIEW. I'd ask an AE.

If it is only static, you could put your polymorphic VI inside a wrapper VI that is called as a poststep by the custom step type. Then use OnNewStep to pop open your Edit Dialog right away so the user could select the instance. Once you have the instance selected, you'd have to call it in the wrapper. (Or maybe, add a PostStep for each instance of the poly VI and just skip all the poststeps except the one selected by the config. hmmm, a little wacky.)

Chris Clark

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,839 Views)

Cheers Chris. Yeah, I was thinking about going down the OnNewStep route to have the user select an instance, and then changing the call path of the step to that instance (shouldn't be too hard), but I'd rather not do that if there's some magical swtich in TestStand that means I don't have too.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,827 Views)