NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue loading custom step in TestStand deployment

Hi,

We are trying to use Teststand deployment with LabVIEW runtime engine.

As we tried to load a custom step,  Teststand threw the following error message.

Failed to load VI 'C:\..\..\*.vi' in the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine version '15.0.1'.

LabVIEW:  The VI is not executable.  This error may occur because the VI is either broken or contains a subVI that LabVIEW cannot locate. Select File>>Open to open the VI and verify that you can run it.

VI Path: C:\..\..\*.vi

Please find our observations below,

• We are able to open that particular VI in LabVIEW. The same module working fine in Teststand development mode with LabVIEW runtime adapter(version 15.0.1)
  • Teststand deployment able to run the same module by using “Action” step.
  • Custom step module does not throw an error if the VI called in post-step have no code(or simple arithmetic operation) in it. But it throws an error if it has any single button pop-up or property node in it.

Thanks,

Balamurugan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,910 Views)

• We are able to open that particular VI in LabVIEW. The same module working fine in Teststand development mode with LabVIEW runtime adapter(version 15.0.1)
  • Teststand deployment able to run the same module by using “Action” step.
  • Custom step module does not throw an error if the VI called in post-step have no code(or simple arithmetic operation) in it. But it throws an error if it has any single button pop-up or property node in it.

I'm curious - are you talking about custom step type; or about simple LabVIEW code module, which is used in different steps?

Also, if error occurs if there is some code in post-step, are you sure, that error belongs to that "main" code module, and not to that post-step?

Did you experience this issue while running from TestStand + LabVIEW (not run-time engine, but in development environment)?

And also it would be good to see code module here - maybe, we'll have some ideas regarding it, if possible...

logos_middle.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,871 Views)

Hi,

I am taking about custom steps and if error occurs if there is some code in post-step, I am sure, that error belongs to that to that post-step(Post step not able to load the code module)

I have never experienced this issue while running from TestStand (Development) + LabVIEW (run-time engine or development environment)?. Issues only while running from TestStand (Deployment) + LabVIEW (run-time engine)

Its not specific to a code module. I am facing same issue in all custom steps.

Thanks,

Balamurugan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,859 Views)

Thanks for the clarifications, now it seems more clear to me...

TestStand deployment relinks all the VIs dependencies to deployed one, e.g. if the code module uses some VIs from LabVIEW functions pallete (like from vi.lib, instr.lib, etc.), then after deployment it will not search for those dependencies VIs in LabVIEW installation folder, but in deployment folder. Thus, if some dependencies VIs are not present in deployment "package", then it will cause code module to be broken. I guess, that you know it also. 

So, this is what does happen - some dependencies are missing after deployment. So, you can open your code module / run code module in LV RT or dev environment, while it is not deployed. But after deployment, some dependencies are missing. I would suggest as the first step to check in details settings of deployment.

Once I had an issue, that dll was missing - and it was not possible to include it automatically to deployment; so I had to copy it manually. 

The interesting point here is that you say, that isssue does not appear while code module is used in Action step type... And I have no idea, why it is linked to post actions...

But, to find out, what happens, you can debug your sequence via standard Operator Interface, which is shipped with TestStand. Maybe, if you will go step-by-step, you will see, what VI is missing...

One more question - do you have option "Load code modules on sequence load", or "Load code modules dynamically"? B/c it TS loads all code modules in the beginning, and some VIs' dependencies are missing, then it would be an error in the beginning...

Sorry if my suggestions are wrong - I'm just based on my experience, so you can have something different now...

logos_middle.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,844 Views)