From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to open and operate hyperterminal from TestStand?

I have a device that is connected by serial port. I need to send a few commands and then send a hex file using the Xmodem protocol. I tried using libraries in CVI but it is not very reliable. I don't seem to every have any issues using hyperterminal so I was wondering if there is a way to automate hyperterminal from TestStand?  I'm looking for a solution that does not require any user interaction. Is there any kind of quiet mode where it can run in the background so users do not see it?
Thanks.
Tyler
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,521 Views)
Hyperterminal has no automatation interface but the same people who created Hyperterminal have a program called HyperAccess and this has an ActiveX interface. I've used this quite a bit and it works pretty well. You can find out more at http://www.hilgraeve.com/. I have a dll (at work) that creates a reference and can provide some examples if you decide to go this route.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,518 Views)
Here's an example sequence that opens a session, minimizes the screen, and then reads the first line. Hope it helps. The necessary dll I had to rename as txt because dll is not a valid attachment.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,507 Views)