NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to call a VI that is inside a LabVIEW executable from a TestStand sequence?

I have created a custom TestStand operator interface and have modified the default sequential process model to display a UUT information dialog that prompts for more information than just the UUT serial number.  This UUT information dialog is a LabVIEW VI.  To distribute the operator interface, I build it into an executable.  As part of the build process, I make a copy of the UUT information dialog VI (which is part of my operator interface project) and place it in the same folder as the executable.  I have then configured the sequential process model to call the dialog VI from this location.  It would be really nice if I could embed the UUT information dialog VI inside the operator interface executable so that I could distribute just an executable instead of an executable and separate VIs.  Is this possible?  In other words, is it possible to call a VI that is inside a LabVIEW executable from a TestStand sequence just like a standard LabVIEW VI call?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,019 Views)
Ryan,

The dialog that you've created isn't being directly called by the OI at all and shouldn't need to be included in the same directory as the OI for distribution. Since you are modifying the PreUUT of the default process model, you will give the path to the VI in that step, create a deployment and then manually copy the VI to the directory referenced in the step. The VI is considered a support file for the process model and is not related to the OI at all.
Test Engineer - CTA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,003 Views)
Jon,

Yes, you are correct that the UUT information dialog VI is technically not part of the operator interface.  However, it is convenient for me to distribute my code in the form of a single executable (for version control, simplicity of deployment, etc.).  I reiterate my original question - is it possible to call a VI that is inside a LabVIEW executable from a TestStand sequence just like a standard LabVIEW VI call?  If not, this would be a nice feature to have.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,000 Views)
Yes, with some modifications to your LabVIEW code. You can use the Call Executable step type and pass command-line arguments to the exe. Inside of your VI, you would need to parse the arguments and based on whatever argument passed you would then call the particular VI within the code.
Test Engineer - CTA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,996 Views)