NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of LabView 6.0.2 during Operator Interface execution

I have TestStand 3.1f1/CVI 7.1.1 installed on my network machine and everything works OK. I have a modified TestStand Operator Interface which has the new tree control as an addition. This application also works O.K. on the network account. (which TS/CVI was installed to.)

However, when I log on to the SAME machine under a different account (Not networked) my Operator Interface asks me to install LabView 6.0.2 run-time engine (3 times) every time I try to execute it.

If I cancel each one of the install requests, the application loads and works correctly anyway!

When I check the control panel, I find that, surprise, surprise, LabView 6.0.2 IS installed!!!
(I also can't see 6.0.2. on the TestStand or CVI discs )

After debugging, I found the request to load 6.0.2. happens the first time I try to load the main UIR panels for the Operator Interface.

What's going on? and how do I resolve it?

Regards,
                  BrianM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,893 Views)
Hi Brian,
  I can't find any note of this behaviour on our system, so it's possible that the labview run-time engine installation from the TestStand engine distribution didn't go on correctly. (a few TestStand features rely on the LabVIEW run-time engine)
You can download it from here, and try a re-install :

What happens if you run the default operator interface? This would help to tie it down to something more general (the RTE install itself) or something specific to the operator interface itself.

Does the user account have administrator rights?

Hope this helps

Thanks
Sacha Emery
National Instruments (UK)
// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,862 Views)

Sacha,

I've found that this seems to be a problem with CVI 7.1.1 generally, rather than the TestStand operator interface. If I start CVI 7.1.1 the installer starts as well. The thread http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=180&message.id=16824&view=by_threading&page=2 seems to be the same problem

i.e.

The error deals with a shared component to contain ActiveX controls. CVI loads this at startup using COM, and if the registry keys are not correct then MSI launches to fix itself. If you cancel and do not allow it to reapir you should notice that FunctionPanel help is straight HTML not displayed as it should be. There seems to be something stomping on our registry keys here, and something like this happened around the 6.0 timeframe and seems to be happening again here lately.

To solve this you should be able to go to [Program Files]\National Instruments\Shared directory. Run regsvr32 on nicont.dll and nicontdt.dll in this directory. That should reregister the control for COM for you and stop the MSI dialog from showing up.

However I've run regsvr32 on these DLL's and it doesn't make any difference.

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,862 Views)
Hi Brian,
 can you temporarily bump up the admin rights on the non networked user?
as in make them part of the administrators group, or power user?

It may be that when you tried to run regsvr32 it didn't actually update the registry through permissions issues.
Of course, your user might already be at that level, but ti's worth a shot.

Thanks
Sacha Emery
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,850 Views)

Sacha,

The non-networked user is already has administrator privilege.

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,835 Views)

Hi Brian,

as per that forum link you put in last time, there's still some content that isn't correctly registered that's shared between LabVIEW and CVI then.

Since this is an additional user, then it can really only be a registration issue.

The idea of using regsvr32 is still valid then, however knowing which dll's and ocx's to work with is the difficult part.

There's an error log which you should be able to find I think it's cvierror.txt.

It's actually an xml layout, but if you could open up cvi, get the error for the installation, cancel it, and then search your hard drive for .txt files generated "today" then you should be able to find it. Attach it to this thread, and then we'll see if that yields any ideas as to which components aren't showing up as registered correctly (try the windows\system32\cvirte\bin directory)

Thanks

Sacha Emery

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,826 Views)

Sacha,

I don't think that cvierror.txt file is an error log. I searched for cvi*.* (everything for the past day) on my entire hard drive and basically found nothing. (except recent entries for cvierror.txt, but that's because I'd opened it with notepad...)

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,821 Views)

Hi,

when the installation window comes up does it say anything like :

Event Log Warning Message 1
Detection of product '{B652CC58-6222-4149-B52D-C632AEE8C66C}', feature 'LVRT' failed during request for component '{95A2F34E-BBED-429D-AD92-49FB0BAE03F2}'

in the event viewer?

(start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->event viewer

and then select system or application)

Thanks

Sacha Emery

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,810 Views)

Hi Sacha,

Similar, Its

Detection of product '{B652CC58-6222-4149-B52D-C632AEE8C66C}', feature 'LVRT', component '{A4C7356A-DA80-11D3-80E5-0050049FD55D}' failed. The resource 'C:\Program Files\National Instruments\shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\6.0\models\pb_h.ptc' does not exist.

and

Detection of product '{B652CC58-6222-4149-B52D-C632AEE8C66C}', feature '3DGraph' failed during request for component '{95A62C27-864C-11D3-AB56-006008CA11D7}'

and

Product: NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 6.0.2 -- Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 6.0.2. The Windows installer cannot continue.

Hope this is useful!

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,810 Views)
Hi Brian,
  OK, now we're getting somewhere :
The last item - no valid source refers to the fact it couldn't find the installer for LV 6.0.2.
Have you installed it from the link I sent you in the first couple of threads?

For the second item, the 3Dgraph, can you check to see if you have a file called cw3dgrph.ocx? (might be cw3dgraph.ocx depending on what installed it)
If it's there for you, then try start->run
then regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\cw3dgrph.ocx"
(replace the path as necessary)

For the first item :
Have you checked to see if that file exists? It could be a permission on the "<national instruments>\shared" directory under windows.

The long keys you've listed should appear in regedit. You can search for them and see if they physically exist.

Hope this helps
Thanks

Sacha Emery

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,797 Views)