From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inadvertent modification of NI_DatabaseTypes.ini ?

Upon exiting TestStand 3.1, I get the message:
"The following files are modified. Check the files you wish to save before exiting. You will lose any modifications to unchecked files."
The file that is displayed (and checked) is NI_DatabaseTypes.ini
The problem is, I get the popup every time I exit TestStand. It doesn't matter whether I've opened an existing test sequence or not, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I select 'Save checked Files' or 'Exit without Saving'; all functionality (including my Access database logging) seems to be normal.
It MAY have shown up after I used User Manager to set accounts for myself and test technicians, but that might have been a coincidental thing, I can't tell/can't remember.
It seems this is just an annoyance right now, any ideas on what to check for to make it go away?

Thanks,
John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,897 Views)
Hi John,
This will occour when one of the StepTypes or DataTypes is being automatically updated.
This means that in one of your sequence files (Most likely the process model) has a modified Type.

For TestStand 3.1, the Type versions that are shipped are as follows (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong Smiley Happy 😞
StepTypes:
NI_OpenDatabase                        3.1.0.1
NI_OpenSQLStatement               3.1.0.1
NI_CloseSQLStatement               3.1.0.1
NI_CloseDatabase                        3.1.0.1
NI_DataOperation                        3.1.0.1
PostSubstep                                 3.1.0.9095
EditSubstep                                   3.1.0.9095
NI_VariableAndPropertyLoader      3.1.0.63

DataTypes:
DatabaseColumnValue            3.1.0.2
DatabasePropertyMapping      3.1.0.2
Error                                          3.1.0.9095
Path                                          3.1.0.9095
Expression                              3.1.0.9095
CommonResults                     3.1.0.100

From the Type Pallette Window, you should be able to select the NI_DatabaseTypes.ini file and identify what has changed.
The Usage column will also show you which currently loaded files are using this type. This will let you track down, what file has the "Newer" type.

If you are sure you do not require the changes, you can reset the the version by the following:
*Warning* this will reset any changes back to the Origional NI types.
Assume SequencialModel.seq has a newer version of CommonResults DataType.
  1. Open TestStand
  2. Change the Version of CommonResults to 0
  3. Save ONLY SequencialModel.seq
  4. Close TestStand
  5. Reopen TestStand, If prompted update to currently loaded types.
  6. Save SequencialModel.seq
This will now have the CommonResults DataType back to the origional NI version in the SequencialModel.seq file.

Hope this helps.

Simon Holman
Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Developer

measX GmbH & Co. KG.
http://www.measx.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,892 Views)

Thanks Simon, after a bit of trial your suggestions led me to the fix; I appreciate it very much.

There was, in fact, differing versions of the type CommonResults which appears in multiple Type Pallete files within SequentialModel.seq. Not sure how I modified it originally, but somewhere along the line it's version got changed and conflicted with the CommonResults in my actual test sequence. I set everything in both SequentialModel.seq and my test sequence back to the ship version 3.1.0.100 (shipped w/TS 3.1) and the conflict went away.

It's interesting to note that the problem had crept into ModelSupport.seq as well, so I had to open it and set it back, too.

John G

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,879 Views)