From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Switch Executive Virtual Device with TestStand Deployment

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using TestStand 2016 and Switch Executive 2015 to create a TestStand deployment.  I have a version-controlled NI Switch Executive Export file (xml format) that I'd like to have automatically imported when the TS deployment installer is executed on the target system.  What's the cleanest way to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,147 Views)

Have you taken a look at: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/tsdeploysystem/infotopics/manuallyincludefiles/

You can include files you're using as part of the deployment.  I'd expect that to be the easiest method.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,113 Views)

Jeff,

Yes, I have uncovered this documentation in other places.  I have successfully managed to include the xml file in the build.  However, I would like an automated way on the target system of importing that xml file into MAX as a Switch Exec virtual instrument.

I don't want the person running the deployment installer to have to manually open up MAX and go through the process of importing the xml.  Is there a script that I could have the TestStand installer execute that would take the xml file and import it into MAX?

-Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,109 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author awooster
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,095 Views)

I had not come across these - thanks, especially for the example program link.  This first link comments to what I'm trying to do:

"At this time, it is not possible to programmatically export either configuration from a development computer to a target computer."

I'll implement the example as an executable that gets included and automatically run with the deployment installer.  However, I'm disappointed because this seems like such a complicated way to accomplish such a simple task.

Product suggestion: add a feature to the TestStand deployment installer that enables automatic installation of a Switch Executive Virtual Device XML!

Message 5 of 6
(3,087 Views)

Hi Andrew,

That’s not a bad idea.  If you’d like, you should post the suggestion on the Idea Exchange.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/teststandideas

Also, mark whatever you consider to be the answer to this forum post so others looking for a similar solution can find it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,073 Views)