From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing a "Change Password upon next login" flag

Is there a simple way to implement a flag to force a user to change their password upon the next login?  

I can easily code a labview VI to embed in the LoginLogout sequence of FrontEndCallbacks that pops up and takes a password, then sets it using the User.Property.  

I thought about using a Custom Privilege, but that runs into the wrinkle of being always overriden by the GrantAll flag.  I've also thought about using a StationGlobal, but that could possibly be accidentally overwritten by a developer.  

Has anyone else gone through this problem and figured out an elegant solution?

Thanks in advance,

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,421 Views)

I've never done this but it is defnitely intriguing.  If I were to do it here's what I would do:

I would go through and add attributes to all the users.  I would set that attribute as some sort of timestamp.  Then in your login VI I'd check that attribute and if it is past a certain date I'd make them reset their password.  Once they do reset it then you set the attribute to the current date/time.  Seems simple and elegant.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 4
(4,420 Views)

I agree with jiggawax's proposed solution. That seems like a clean way to solve the problem.

Please post back if you end up implementing this, because it seems like something others could be interested in. You could also post a snippet of code on the NI Community as an example for other TestStand users.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,375 Views)

Thanks Jigg and Daniel,

I'm currently implementing this as suggested, and will post again if it works (though it looks like it should be pretty straightforward).

Thanks,
Seth

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,340 Views)