NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVI StepTypes for TestStand 2014 64-bits

I am wondering why TestStand 2014 64-bits doesnot support IVI StepTypes and if there is any plan to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,444 Views)

Hello, 

Thank you for reaching out. National Instruments would like to hear from you. The R&D team is requesting the following information to better assist you. Please answer these questions along with your company name. You may send me a personal message to keep your information private. 

Do you need basic class functionality or to use all features of the IVI classes?

How elaborate does the step type need to be in order to be useful? 

Do you need runtime access to the instrument (for example, a front panel for debugging)? 

Do you need easy access to the IVI class API? 

Which classes are you wanting to use? 

Do you need access to the IVI session to pass to C or to LabVIEW?

Which company are you with?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,415 Views)

Which company are you with?

I work for Hill-Rom. I am the Test Software Architect for the Manufacturing Test Group World-Wide. We have been working hard to implement TestStand in all bussiness units. At this point we have TestStand in all facilities in Indiana (Batesville), Mexico (Monterrey), and in few places in Europe.

Do you need basic class functionality or to use all features of the IVI classes?

At least I need the following: Power Supply, DMM, and Switch

How elaborate does the step type need to be in order to be useful? 

I need to have the same features I have in TestStand 2014 (32-bit) for DMM, Power Supply, Switch, and Tools.

Do you need runtime access to the instrument (for example, a front panel for debugging)? 

NO. I can use NI Trace to check the API calls.

Do you need easy access to the IVI class API? 

NO.  I just need the access provided by the Front-Ends of the required StepTypes.

Which classes are you wanting to use? 

"iviswtch_64", "ividmm_64" and "ividcpwr_64"

Do you need access to the IVI session to pass to C or to LabVIEW?

NO.

If I am able to get access to the StepTypes Source Code I can make the proper modifications to create the binaries for TestStand 2014 (32-bit).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,399 Views)

The IVI step types for 32-bit TestStand were created using Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0, which is not supported by Microsoft in 64-bit processes. This impacts the code in for the IVI step type edit-time dialogs, the run-time soft front panels, and the execution code, and the underlying NI Measurement Studio IVI Class controls that the step types use are also not supported. This means that in order to support IVI step types in 64-bit TestStand, the TestStand team would need to re-design and replace all these components.

NI Marketing and TestStand R&D currently do not have plans to support 64-bit IVI step types because there is not enough customer demand for this support to warrant investing the resources necessary for this redesign.

The alternatives for customers who need to use IVI with 64-bit TestStand include the following:

1. Use their preferred development environment to implement IVI functionality in code modules that directly call IVI.
  2. Creating a hardware or measurement abstraction layer is a common approach used by many or our customers. It would require some up front effort to convert IVI steps to code modules, but they would be functionally similar, if not the same.
  3. Have 64-bit TestStand remotely execute a sequence in 32-bit TestStand. This is suggested as a temporary solution only, as it increases overhead and can forfeit the benefits of a 64-bit architecture.
Scott Richardson
Message 4 of 7
(4,394 Views)

Hi Scott,

Thanks for clarifing.

I am working the in the prodction field evironment and providing testequipment for funtional and e-o-l testsystems.

Most of these system are using IVI or VISA drivers.

For me it seems that Teststand 64bit is getting caught in its own trap.

I have tried the remote excution. Yeah, it is working on excution time. but it rapid stopps on debugging tasks.

And to be honest, I do not like workarounds on my most important steps.

Last year i tried to use it in software device tests, were were also use TS. I gave up, to much effort.

Well, if NI is not doing the effort to support 64bit device driver stuff,

TestStand 64bit will be not more than a marketing gag on the paper for most of the customers.   

... and please in form the customers on time when TestStand 32bit is discontinued. I have to update more than one decade of work.

... I know discontinue will come one day! I so want to start now! 

... but if there is no support (and in future!!,too) on my major struff I never can start at all.

Regards

Juergen  

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,340 Views)

Juergen,

Are you using the IVI step types specifically? My understanding is that 64-bit device drivers are supported and will work when called from code modules. It's just the step types that do not exist in TestStand 64-bit. Or are there some device drivers you need that aren't supported in 64-bit at all?

Thanks for any details on this.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,330 Views)

Hi Doug,

That is a good point!

My most important drivers are NI-DMM and NI-Switch

Currently i am using 3.1 for DMM and 4.6.5 for Switch

they do not support 64bit.

I have just visited ni.com a realizied that there is support for win7/8 64bit for both since last summer! 

it seems i have to visit aglient's page and check their lates driver support.

... looking quite good to give TS 64bit a second chance by providing 64bit codemodules.

I hope it is just an adding in visual studio....

I will give you a feedback...

Regards to Austin,

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,321 Views)