From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you do this? 2 instances of a test station

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a sequecne that runs great stand alone now we are wanting to add another test socket to the system. It is not as easy as it sounds here are the conditions and what we are wanting to do. I need to have either 2 instances of the program running or to configure the sequence in batch or parallel but I'm a little confused on how to do it properly.

System Specifics:

• 2 - test fixtures with 24 pieces in each. The sequence works great now with one test fixture. I decided not to do batch with these 24 pieces since I have a single DAQ mx read for all of the UUT's and there is no need to track each 24 pieces. they all run to failure.
  • Both test fixtures will be using the same DAQmx device for measurements. Compaq DAQ with USB (device 1 is for test fixture 1 and device 2 is for test fixture 2)
  • They share a DIO board for a few discrete signals.

My issues:

1. Socket 1 or Socket 2 may have parts on them seperatly. A operator my load up 1 and not the other and start the test. Sometime during the test they may load up 2 and start it too. Both need to run indepent but share the Compaq DAQ device
  2. How do you run the shared resource ( locking during measurement, semifore?)
  3. Can this be done at all?
  4. Can I run two instances from the same UI? this would be the ulimate solution. With 2 entry points and 2 readouts for the UI callback to write to.

Thank you for any input you can give me.

Bill Lewis
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,050 Views)

Hi Bill,

i think with Teststand 2016 this should be possible, because this versions is supporting multiple instances of TestStand.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052R-01/tsfundamentals/infotopics/tsenv/

They are calling this feature multiple environments.

Synronisation between this enviroments is possible according to the help.

But when i am looking to my TS2016 lock step type i only see that highest snyc level is the excution. Maybe this is forced by starting my instance NOT in multiple environments mode or the blue ones knows more about that.

To my shame i have not tried this great feature because i see a great benefit to run a test while you are editing another one.

Regards

Juergen 

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
Message 2 of 8
(4,016 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bill_Lewis

You can have multiple instances of TestStand running in pretty much any version. 

Here are a couple options:

1- run two UIs and use and asterisk to prefix your lock names (e.g. "*DAQmxDevice").  This lock will then be shared across engines.  In fact any of the synchronization steps can use the * to preceed the name to share it across engines.

2- Create a custom UI with 2 execution managers and then have 2 sets of execution views on the front panel.  When they execute you can somehow tell the sequence file (using a UIMessage) which execution they fired off.  Then it will know which set of UUTs it is testing.  Use the * trick for your locks.

3- What you should be doing- use the parallel model.  It handles everything in your requirements right out of the gate.  In other words the user can run which socket they want from the parallel dialog.  Use normal locking mechanisms.  I have attached an example.

You will get the best performance and control from option 3.  Just saying.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 3 of 8
(4,001 Views)

Thanks as always Jigwax!

In Parallel mode can the operator start the parts at different times, for example the next day when parts are already running in the other station?

Bill Lewis
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,984 Views)

Yes! Did you run my example? You will see the parallel dialog.   You can start either socket at your own whim.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 5 of 8
(3,981 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

Yes! Did you run my example? You will see the parallel dialog.   You can start either socket at your own whim.

One last question I promise! 🙂

I have a custom UI that I have for one instance using the simple UI provided by NI with a UI message callback added. Can I modify it easliy for use in the parallel mode or is there another UI example that would be better? what will I need to add to the UI if I modify this one and how do I show both executions on one UI?

Bill Lewis
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,971 Views)

Hi Jigg,

thanks for this * refresher.

I have really forgotten that feature.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052R-01/tsref/infotopics/sync_objects_name/

Greetings from Germany

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
Message 7 of 8
(3,968 Views)

bill_lewis wrote: 

I have a custom UI that I have for one instance using the simple UI provided by NI with a UI message callback added. Can I modify it easliy for use in the parallel mode or is there another UI example that would be better? what will I need to add to the UI if I modify this one and how do I show both executions on one UI?

Bill,

I'm not sure what the UI you have does or what the UI Message you are handling does.  If it were me I'd just sue the Full-Featured UI that ships with TestStand and then add your UI Message handling to it.

With a little more detail I could point you to a better solution.  

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,953 Views)