From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set UI interface for different User types ?

Greetings !

I am rather new to TestStand and I wonder if it is possible to assign to an User group (like Operators for example) a previously saved UI configuration.

In configure menu->Sequence Editor Options->UI configuration, I have created a custom configuration of the windows and would like to load this configuration everytime an user from the Operator groupe logs in.

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,001 Views)

Are you having your operators run the Sequence Editor?  Why not have them use the User Interface?  That way you can customize to your hearts content.

I know that the layout settings for the Seq Editor are stored in some cfg files.  Not quite sure where exactly.  I'm guessing you could have your front End Callback swap those files out or go through the API somehow to change them out.

Just a thought.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,992 Views)

Thank you for you quick answer ! Since I can't use TestStand whenever I want, i can't check the cfg files right now but this was my first idea. Guess I will try to swap the files like you said when I will be able to test it. The idea was to lock the UI so that the operator can only run the sequences (and set the rights to customize to the admin only).

Thank you again, I will update this thread when I would be able to provide a solution.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,948 Views)
Those are the default settings for an operator and an admin user. Have you changed the options for either? Have you logged in as an operator and been able to do anything except load a sequence and run it?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,945 Views)

Yes indeed, by logging in as an operator, it is only possible to load the sequence and run it. What I wanted to know is if it is possible to load, depending of who is logging in, a pre-saved layout stored in the Cfg files as jiggawax suggested.

I searched through Test Stand help, but I could not find how I could use the frond end callback to swap the files, although I think this is exactly what I want to do !

Thank you again !

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,838 Views)
You still have not explained exactly what you want to change. If you use a modified operator interface, you can load whatever you want.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,828 Views)

Dennis,

I think they are talking about the layout for the sequence editor.  So when you go to  Configure>>Sequence Editor Options and look at the UI Configuration tab.

Is that correct Q?

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,824 Views)

The files are stored per user on the machine.  So they are in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\National Instruments\TestStand <version>\

I think you want to look at the layout_current.bin and SeqEdit.xml. 

However, I'm not sure when the Sequence Editor loads these files.  It might happen before the FrontEndCallback.  If it doesn't then you can just have the FrontEndCallback call a code module that will swap out the files with the ones you want depending on the users privileges.

Another option is to create a launcher that swaps the files out and then calls TestStand.  The problem is you'd have to have the user log in to the launcher to get their privileges.

All in all this doesn't seem like any of it is worth the work.  Users shouldn't be executing from the Sequence Editor.  They should use the User Interface.  Besides that the Layout doesn't really change what they can and can't view.  It just changes how the screen looks.

Hopefully this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,818 Views)