From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program TestStand to open a Config VI always when a new step is inserted?

I created a step type and packed it within a custom type palette (".ini" file). The code Module for this Step is a LabVIEW Express VI.

Using the "Step Type Menu Editor" I included this new step within the "Insert Step>>"
Menu.

Question: How to Program TestStand or the step type, so that by the insertion of this new step within the
sequence the configuration dialog box of the express VI automatically pops up? (this would be like using
the option "Configure VI..." within the step context menu)

I would appreciate a lot all the help about this issue!

Thanks!

- Caribe -

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,302 Views)

Message Edited by Antonio Lie (NI) on 08-23-2005 01:31 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,296 Views)

Message Edited by Antonio Lie (NI) on 08-23-2005 01:31 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,296 Views)

Message Edited by Antonio Lie (NI) on 08-23-2005 01:30 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,298 Views)

Caribe,

I. In order to accomplish this you need to insert a custom substep in your step type.
    1. Go to your step types properties and select the substeps tab.
    2. Select the ActiveX/COM Adapter from the Adapter list.
    3. Add a new custom substep.
    4. Rename it -> OnNewStep
    5. Specify the Module.
    6. Object Reference = Step.
    6. Object Class = Step.
    7. Call the Method -> EditCode.

Now every time you insert your step, this substep will be executed and as a result you will get the Express VI configuration dialog.

Best Regards.

Rename the

Message Edited by Antonio Lie (NI) on 08-23-2005 01:30 PM

Message Edited by Antonio Lie (NI) on 08-23-2005 01:33 PM

Message 5 of 6
(3,303 Views)

Hello Antonio!

Many Thanks! This was exactly what I needed!

I wanted to send you a comment on this, but the message body text input was with some kind of bug last week, so that I coudnt reply the message 😞 Now its working! 🙂

I have some more question about ActivX substeps. Which oder substebs can I use to change the TestStand functionallity in order to fullfill my purposes?

For example, you mentioned the "OnNewStep" substep, but are there other substeps like "OnDoubleClick"? Do you have a list of activeX Step types that can be used?

Question: How do configure my custom Step Type to call its Express VI configuration Dialog box each time I double click the Step in the sequence editor?

I appretiate a lot your help! Its really amazing all we can do with Test Stand using custom Step Types!

Thanks,

- Caribe -

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,259 Views)