NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to list sequence details to a text file

What if I want ot print the details of a .seq file. For example, I am currently wanting to understand how the steps in
SequenceFilePostResultListEntry fit into the SequentialModel.seq. I have to look at each of the steps and try to read the contenst with a tiny mouse-over window or open each step (which takes a lot longer).

How can I print the entire sequence to a file and look at it as if it were source code?

Frustrated with TestStand's idiosyncracies

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,374 Views)
Hi,

You can do this by using the documentation tool in the tools menu. This will generate a html or text base document of your sequence files.
You can select how much detail goes into the resultant document. If you have custom step types you may find that some of the properties of the step may not be listed. You can get a round this, as this tool is just a Sequence File and can be found in the TestStand\Components\NI\Tools folder.

For more details refer to the TestStand User manual.

Regards
Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 2 of 7
(3,368 Views)
That's it?

That's all I get?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,340 Views)
Exactly what other information do you want that isn't in the documentation tool? Instead of complaining about the answer you got, provide some additional information. Without that, it's pretty hard to give any additonal help.
Message 4 of 7
(3,308 Views)
It is all about formatting. I want a better format and a better editor. Can you give me that?

For example, the test data log that pops up after you run a group of parts. Some kind of useless XML formatted data. Totally difficult to read and don't bother trying to parse through it, either. Why didn't they just spit it out in a comma delimited file for Excell format? XML is a great idea, but not here.

So, I admit, it is just an example and no one is expected to use the 'canned' data log format. I asked the question because I was hoping that a better tool was in there, somewhere.

So I'll just have to spend a few weeks learnig how to get at the sequence data and write my own version of the 'Sequence File Documentation ...'  tool.

If it were my company, I would get rid of all of those %$#%$# modal and modeless pop-up windows that are used to add test steps and put it all into a spreadsheet format so that the user could see it all together on the same page.That would at least be printable.

"Oh, but that is what the competition is doing ... we are NI ... we can't do it like that."

You can ignore the complaints if you want. When I get the tool finished I'll upload it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,298 Views)

You're talking about two different things. Test data is not the same thing as sequence documentation. The format of test data is selected from Configure>Report Options and ASCII text is one of the options you can choose.

As far as using a spreadsheet to create a test sequence, I suspect that this could be accomplished if that's what you want. Look at the shipping example called Sequence Builder Tool to get a start. TestStand may be doings things a little different than the competition but TestStand also allows you do many things in different ways.

Message 6 of 7
(3,287 Views)
I am very interested on hearing about the competitors to TestStand! Please post links!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,157 Views)