NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get name of step that is running in teststand

Hi,

I need to create an extra window to show the status of the UUT, the operator interface is not enough to show the details of 24 threads. So we decided to create another GUI that will be called at the beginning of the batch process model. The idea is to display status and step running at each batch in the GUI. We are using UI messages events to catch what is happening at execution, however I'm not able to get the step name from the sequence context when I catch UI message events. 

Which do you recommend to get the status of the sequence runnning and catch the events once is test step is started and completed at each thread?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jorge

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,669 Views)

I've done something similar in the past Jorge but it adds quite a programming overhead.

The easiest way to do this I found was to pass the step name (RunState.CallingStep.Name) as a parameter in the PostUIMessageEx call.  You can have different UImessages for the step name and test outcome but as I said this adds extra sequence steps for every test.  You have to program not just the test but the reporting also (although this can be reduced by using the SequenceFilePostResultListEntry callback).  

TestStand has this reporting built in so why not just display each sequence thread of the batch model within the UI using the DisplaySequenceFile event callback?  This may achieve what you're looking for.

Good luck.

SimonC aka Sipic

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,420 Views)