From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to collect the results of one step and utilise them in some other steps in the same sequence

Hello
I am new to the Teststand.
I am using labview8.0 with teststand 3.1

Plz get me solution for the below

I am configuring the serial port resources like resource name, baud rate etc..,I made the initialization using setup task.I made serial port write and serial port read as independant vi's in labview and called them from teststand as steps.Now i need the same resource name appear in some other steps in the sequence .how can i get them using teststand commands instead of specfying them at each step.

Also how to pass values or results obtained from one step to some other step in the same sequence using teststand commands.And I want the results to be printed in the report.
Plz suggest the solution

Also help me in parameter passing

Thanks and Regards
      Kiran Kumar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,868 Views)
Kiran,

if you work with external resources (like serial), you should controll the handle within teststand. So you would retrieve and configure the resource in a module (most often action- or pass/fail-step) and pass the handle to TestStand. Please check if the handle is a cluster, an object reference, a string or simply a number (you have to create an appropriate variable!). Passing the handle should be done as parameter of all modules using this resource.

Since you cannot be sure if the handle, which resides now in TestStand, is valid, you propably want to retrieve the resource in a pass/failstep and then use preconditions for each further step using this resource.

Example:
Get Serial Port
Read Serial Port (Precondition: Get Serial Port PASSED)
Write Serial Port (Precondition: Get Serial Port PASSED)
Close Serial Port (Precondition: Get Serial Port PASSED)

hope this helps,
Norbert B.
Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,842 Views)

Hi Norbert

Can to tell me how to get the visa resource name(data type-Labview io control) in the steps using teststand utilities like get/set teststand prop. value.

i created the local>>insert local>> type>>lv>>lviocontrol

and then now i need to use teststand utility in some other step to collect the resource name .I tried this but showing errors

Kiran

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,839 Views)

Hi,

You can pass it direct to and from the VI via the VI's connector pane.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,835 Views)