NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Find and Remove all unused Sequence files and Subsequences

We have TestStand code that has hundreds of sequences files which some have 70+ subsequences. Is there a way to find all the unused sequence files within a directory and all unused subsequences? The file structure is in place but they are not in any TSW. Should we create a workspace with all the files and will that help us track the unused code?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,786 Views)

Have you already used View>>Sequence File>>Display File Hierarchy?

It should give you a helping hand here.

However, it is possible that it is NOT the solution:

It cannot display dynamic call dependencies. If you have sequence calls which call sequences by expression, these dependencies are known only during runtime. A static tool cannot resolve these.

That means that there might be sequences which seem to have no caller because these are called dynamically only.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,770 Views)

Thanks, I'm aware of the Display Hierarchy. I was looking for something faster and better, since some sequences have 70+ subsequences.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,718 Views)

@Foreshadow20 wrote:

[...] I was looking for something faster and better, [...]

I'm pretty confident that there is nothing faster and "better" (whatever that "better" means).

Point is that the tool has to look into each single sequence, look for all sequence call steps and resolve the sequence file pathname and sequence name. It has to store all of the known findings in a graph to be able to create the calling hierarchy. That graph finally has to be visualized.

So performance is directly affected by the number of steps and specifically the number of sequence call steps. Also distributing the sequences called there in multiple sequence files will affect performance as these files have to be loaded if not already in memory. So even your disk speed will affect performance.

Question is what you have/see as alternative? If you can come up with a decent suggestion, feel welcome to post it in the TestStand Idea Exchange forum.

thanks,
Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,713 Views)