NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I manage Report Options at run time for TestStand 3.5?

Several of us TPS developers share TestStand and LabWindows CVI installed into TestStation.  Each developer has to place report file into a specific file path of each program.  Also some developer prefer to have On-The-Fly-Reporting checked, and others do not.

Is there a way to program these options once at the beginning of each program and set them at run time, i.e. using PreUUT?  If this approach works, each developer will have to have his or her PreUUT for the program.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,495 Views)
Fortunately there is a Model Callback designed just for this purpose.  You can modify your process model's ReportOptions sequence.  All of the report options are set in Parameters.

Allen P.
NI
Message 2 of 8
(3,491 Views)

Hi Allen,

I create a sub-step group called PreUUT.  My intention is to execute the PreUUT once regardless of me completely exiting TestStand or not.  I notice that report file generator (.seq files) in the TestStand folder has ReportOptions parameters.  So I simply copy and paste the ReportOptions into my newly created PreUUT.  And paste the same into the sequence caller (main sequence).  They are passed by reference.  I check for syntax error.  There is none.

Options I set in the PreUUT is

Parameters.ReportOptions.UseOnTheFlyReporting = False, Parameters.ReportOptions.DirectoryType = "Specific Directory", Parameters.ReportOptions.Directory = "C:\\...\\TEST_REPORTS\\..."

using statement (f(x)) in TestStand.  These are only options in PreUUT with one f(x) statement.  But when I run the sequence, there is no difference.  Do I need to pass this parameter (ReportOptions) to Station Global or any place else?  Or is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,473 Views)

Hi Leek,

Not sure why you are going down this route, you seem to making work for your self.

There is already a Sequence Callback called ReportOptions, which receives the parameter ReportOptions, this contains the settings from the Report Options Configuration. In the sequence ReportOptions, you can make your changes and these will get passed back to the process model sequence on return from the sequence ReportOptions.

In the TestStand Reference Manual Appendix A is the chapter on the various process models and you can see where the ReportOptions sequence is called in the process.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,458 Views)

Hi Ray,

I know all bout the ReportOptions setting through TestStand Configure pull-down manu.  This setting place all report files into the same file path.  And this is what we must avoid.

As I wrote in the first message, all of us share the same TestStand installed in the same Test Station.  Each of us develop different TPS software, and report files of each TPS needs to go into different file path.  This setting need to occure once for each TPS execution.  This approach I am trying to accomplish is the shortest route.

Another tedious and much more painful is to copy all files in the C:\...\TestStand 3.5\Components\NI\Models\TestStandModels and place them into the C:\...\TestStand 3.5\Components\User location.  Then modify all C codes that deal with report file path, rename the model, and call it through Configure >> Station Options >> Model.  Other program I support went through this approach, and believe me, this is much more time consuming to get it to work.  And reason for this is the same, reports for different TPS software need to be kept in different file location.

Thanks,

leek

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,452 Views)
Hi Leek,

I believe you are misunderstanding what Allen and Ray are suggesting.  The ReportOptions callback is a callback within the Process Model that is meant for changing report settings.  This happens to also be the name of the Configure Menu item that sets all of the Report Options.  However, these are two completely seperate items.  If you open your process model, and you look 4 Callbacks below the PreUUT (assuming Sequential Process Model) you will see a callback labeled "ReportOptions".  This is where we generally recommend to modify any of your settings dealing with reporting.  Hope this helps to clear things up a little!
Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,448 Views)

OK I found it.  My apology to Allen and Ray for misunderstanding.  Now the ReportOptions is in my process model.  I simply copied and pasted my f(x) statement shown in my 3rd reply above in blue color into the ReportOptions.  I will test it when I have a chance.

Thanks,

leek

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,444 Views)

Everything appears to work consistently as expected.  This issue is closed.

Thank You All

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,428 Views)