From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make TestStand find Is that it should be finding, instead giving "Code module must be able to load"?

Occasionally TestStand forgets where its VIs are and I have to waste a lot of time reminding it. Here's what I'm trying to avoid:

1. Occasionally I will analyze my sequence and TestStand shows in its Analysis Results pane hundreds of unexpected errors with the red alert symbol with the text "Code module must be able to load."

2. I double-click  any of those errors and I get taken to the offending Module pane with its red alerty symbol flashing over to the right; and in "VI Path:" there is only the VI name but not the path.

3. Click the "Browse for Path..." icon just to the right of the path, and a file dialog box opens always starting in the exact directorycontaining the exact VI TestStand supposedly "can't" find. If I use that file dialog box to select the VI manually then that error is fixed and I move on to one of my hundreds of other uninvited errors.

4. I have TestStand's search directories set correctly, I hope: In its Configure >> Search Directories... menu item I have my project's parent directory checked and its "Search Subdirectories" checkbox checked as well.

5. I tried TestStand's Tools >> Update VI Calls... menu item with the "Force Prototype Reload" option selected for the various VI calling items and that didn't work either.

How do I fix this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,191 Views)

That's supposed to say "VIs" in my post. Would a moderator please edit that or delete the post?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,187 Views)

What is the path set to before and after you correct it? Does it say "file not found" underneath the path before your correct it?

I recommend you avoid using "Search Subdirectories" and instead use partial relative paths like:

subdir1\subir2\myvi.vi

The reason is that you are more likely to have name conflicts and match to the wrong vi if you just use a simple name like:

myvi.vi

Also "Search Subdirectories" has a performance cost to it which can slow down your module loading times, especially if the path is on a network drive.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,164 Views)

TestStand says "(File not found)" underneath the path before I correct it.

Sometimes TestStand has the correct path underneath the VI and it still "can't find" it. What's wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,100 Views)

Is there any solution to this problem?

I am having the same problem just with a CVI DLL.

Help share your knowlegde
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,640 Views)

Hi Shako, 

What specific error message are you getting? This article might be helpful if you're getting error -17709. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,600 Views)

Hi danni

Thanks. My problem was a missing dependency. I did not know where to find out which DLL it was looking but have since figured out where to find the error message describing that.

Help share your knowlegde
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,593 Views)