From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Diff/Merge hangs

I had the same problem with the hanging diff/merge and solved it this way:

In the FileDiffer.ini (see C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\TestStand 2014 (32-bit)\Cfg\FileDiffer.ini), there is a line with value "false"

</AppSize>
<AppMaximized classname='Bool'>
	<value>false</value>
</AppMaximized>

After having changed it to "true" and restarting of TestStand, it worked 🙂

</AppSize>
<AppMaximized classname='Bool'>
	<value>true</value>
</AppMaximized>

I don't know why this caused a problem. However, I found it by comparing a FileDiffer.ini from a TestStand 64bit version (which I had installed a long time ago but not used) with the FileDiffer.ini from the 32bit version causing problems.

Message 11 of 20
(2,539 Views)

Thanks for posting! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(2,521 Views)

Finally 🙂

It worked for me too.

However I changed from true to false.

Message 13 of 20
(2,393 Views)

I am working with 2 monitors, so when I had this problem, the diff-merge window appeared on my 2nd screen and freezed. Maybe that causes this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(2,390 Views)

I also use 2 monitors.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(2,386 Views)

I had the same problem and I solved it only by renaming the "FileDiffer.ini" into "FileDiffer_old.ini"

(It should be also possible to delete the "FileDiffer.ini" because after executing the File Diff function again the "FileDiffer.ini" will be regenerated)

So I think it´s related to a corrupted "FileDiffer.ini" which contains the results from the last "File Diff " executing.

Many thanks to resudnatstseT for solving this issue!!!

Message 16 of 20
(2,310 Views)

I am running TS2016FP1-32bit and had to change my appsize setting from true to false to get it to run properly.

Message 17 of 20
(1,565 Views)

thanks, this still an issue 3 years later.   Here I just deleted "C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\Cfg\FileDiffer.ini" and it worked.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,265 Views)

I had the same issue with TS2012 and modifying that value from true to false (as others also did) resolved the issue. Thanks for the tip.

It might be worth mentioning that for me the issue only presented itself when launching the diff tool directly. When I compared 2 sequence files within TestStand the diff tool always worked and in-fact doing so made the issue go away for while with launching it standalone.

It's going to be interesting to see if it comes back again but it looks like some sort of issue during initialization of the tool.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(723 Views)

Thanks for posting.  I have found you can just delete (or rename) the file. FileDiffer.ini and teststand will make a new copy.

C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\Cfg\FileDiffer.ini

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(21 Views)