NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to convert a TestStand type to a LabVIEW type or vice versa (error -18005)

Hello,

I've inherited TestStand/LabVIEW project that I'm currently trying to upgrate to TS/LV 2014, and I'm really having a hard time.

So I have this TS sequence that invokes a VI. It passes an Object Reference global variable (expression) on it's input. The variable is set to Nothing.

When I run the sequence (using LV run-time engine) it aborts with the error message:

Parameter 'ServiceInterfaceClient reference in':
Failed to convert a TestStand type to a LabVIEW type or vice versa.

-18005; Failed to convert a TestStand type to a LabVIEW type or vice versa.

'ServiceInterfaceClient' is the object reference argument the VI expects on its input.

When I modify the sequence expression to pass Nothing directly on the input of VI the same error occurs. But when I check Default box in the Step Setting (which sets the VI input to Nothing as well) the executing goes without any error.

So, how do I pass an object reference global variable (set to Nothing) to VI?

P.S. I'm using TestStand 2014 and LabVIES 2014 SP1 32 bits.

P.P.S. The same sequence runs fine on TestStand 2013, LabView 2011 SP 1.

Thank you for your help.

Arthur.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,028 Views)

Ok, switched back to TS2013 and LV2013SP1 and now I am able to pass global variable object reference.

So, what can be wrong with TS/LV 2014?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,006 Views)

Hey Biolartis,

Could you post an simple example that reproduces the error? 

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt P
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,001 Views)

Hi Kurt,

Here is a minimalistic example that runs fine in LV/TS 2013 but fails in 2014.

Thank you for the help.

Arthur.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,995 Views)

Hey Biocartis,

With your example I was able to reproduce the behavior. It is definitely strange and I need to investigate it further. I suspect it's related to the the refnum that is in the VI that points is a reference to System.Array. 

I will let you know what I find. 

-Kurt

Kurt P
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,983 Views)

Hi Kurt,

The issue occurs with whatever .NET class. I've used System.Array just as an example. The original project creates an instance of some other (custom) class actually.

Regards,

Arthur.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,971 Views)

Hey Arthur, 

This behavior is a bug and I filed Corrective Action Request (CAR) 523488 to address it. I reproduced this issue in TestStand 2014 to 2010 with LabVIEW 2014 but it did not reproduce in any of these TestStand Versions with LabVIEW 2013. We still need to find an appropriate work around and I will update this thread when we have one.

Thank you,

-Kurt

Kurt P
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,962 Views)

Kurt,

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Arthur.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8