NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escaping char in string passed to labview

I am having problems passing escaped chars in a string to labview.

I have tried \14\02\55, and \x14\x02\x55 and both ascii string and binary string but I always get "Invalid Escape sequence in Expression"

The only solution I have found is using:

Chr(13)+Chr(3)+Chr(0x91)+Chr(0x55)+Chr(14)+Chr(3)+Chr(0x62)+Chr(0xAA)

But this ends up difficult to read,

Should the escape work?

What am I doing wrong?

David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,081 Views)

You are probably not considering the fact that the \ character is itself an escape character in an expression's string literal. So if you want the string \x14\x02\x55, you have to use the string literal:

"\\x14\\x02\\x55"

Or in TestStand 2012 and higher you can do:

@"\x14\x02\x55"

The @ symbol indicates to TestStand to not treat backslashes as escape characters.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,064 Views)

No. What I am trying to send is the 3 bytes value 14, value 2 and value 55. (in hex)

Or as in the example that works 8 bytes, the data values varies in each step.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,059 Views)

I think if you have the parameter in the TestStand LabVIEW adapter marked as a binary string, then it will unescape the string (the verison with the backslashes) before passing it to labview.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,054 Views)

@David_Stevenson wrote:

I have tried \14\02\55, and \x14\x02\x55 and both ascii string and binary string but I always get "Invalid Escape sequence in Expression"

I seem to be having a similar issue with TestStand 2016 SP1 with LabVIEW 2016.  I am trying to use a Binary String with value of "\03" (End Of String character).  I am getting the error from the analyzer.  But if I ignore that error and continue anyways, the value is passed correctly into LabVIEW.  So it appears to just be an issue with the sequence analyzer.

See the simple example attached for any other details.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 8
(3,057 Views)

Thank you for discovering this and posting your simple example.

Based on this it does look like the Analyzer is incorrectly throwing that error so we have filed a report( #732825) on this.

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,015 Views)

Just wanted you to know that your issue, 732825, is a duplicate of another recently report that is tracked using issue 718241. I have close 732825 and added this forum posting to 718241.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,009 Views)

As a workaround for this issue you can use Chr(0x30) as a substitute using "&" to concatenate longer strings as touched on in the initial post. You can also configure the sequence analyzer rule to be ignored. 

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,981 Views)