From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error occurred while trying to refresh edit panel "SeqEdit.ba"

I've been working on a TestStand project for a while (my first) and lately I get the following error just by clicking on a different step (and any step thereafter, even the one I was previously on):

------------------------------------------------------

Error occurred while trying to refresh edit panel "SeqEdit.ba":

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

Parameter name: index

------------------------------------------------------

Closing TS seems to temporarily clear it out, but it will come back after a while.

Can anybody help me figure out what this is?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37
(5,631 Views)

Hi LoquitoPollo,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. When and what were you doing when this error first appeared? Does this error cause your application to crash or hang? When you said "closing TS seems to temporarily clear it out, but it will come back after a while", could you quantify the amount of time it would take this error to occur again?

Your error may be due to a registry error. If that is the case, I would recommend backing up your project first and then try to repair the software. You can accomplish the repair by going into Add and Remove Software from Control Panel, selecting National Instruments in the program list, choose TestStand and click on Repair. You will need to have the install CD for this.

I hope this helps.

Josh L.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37
(5,614 Views)

LoquitoPollo,

I have some questions that can help us narrow down the problem.

Do the VIs specified in a LV steps take a long time to load when you click on the LV steps?

Does the error first occur when you clicking on a different LV step or the step is calling a different type of module?

Do the VIs have cluster parameters?  Are the clusters expanded when you select a different step?

Does the the error occur when you are using the LabVIEW Run-Time or LabVIEW Development System?

Are you running any sequences when the error occurs?

Is it possible for you to post the sequence with some of the VIs that reproduce the problem?  The VI block diagrams can be empty.  I would like to see what type of controls you are using. 

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37
(5,578 Views)

Here are my answers to the last two posts.

When and what were you doing when this error first appeared?
I'm just developing an automated test, so there's a lot of going back and forth between different subsequences filling in gaps as I go.

Does this error cause your application to crash or hang?
Once it appears, it just continues to appear each and every time I click a different step. I can still develop, but it sure is a pain. It's faster to restart TestStand so it doesn't pop up again (hopefully).

When you said "closing TS seems to temporarily clear it out, but it will come back after a while", could you quantify the amount of time it would take this error to occur again?
I haven't timed it, but it seems to take several hours. I would suspect more that it's based on the number of times I'm clicking different VIs, but I have no hard evidence.

Your error may be due to a registry error. If that is the case, I would recommend backing up your project first and then try to repair the software. You can accomplish the repair by going into Add and Remove Software from Control Panel, selecting National Instruments in the program list, choose TestStand and click on Repair. You will need to have the install CD for this.
Ah, my favorite suggestion...

Do the VIs specified in a LV steps take a long time to load when you click on the LV steps?
I'm not sure what a long time to load is. The first time LabVIEW opens, it takes a while (~30 seconds). After that, the steps typically open in about a second. I sure wish I had an SSD.

Does the error first occur when you clicking on a different LV step or the step is calling a different type of module?
I'm working exclusively with the LabVIEW adapter and the built-in steps: mainly Wait, Additional Results, If Statements, and For Loops.

Do the VIs have cluster parameters?  Yes.

Are the clusters expanded when you select a different step? I had noticed that sometimes they are open and other times they aren't any more. I tried just now and after expanding a few, they all seemed to be expanded. Then I went to another subsequence that makes some of the same VI calls and they were open to begin with, then not (~5-10 VIs clicked on). I went back to the first subsequence and they were no longer open. That's interesting, but what are you looking for here?

Does the the error occur when you are using the LabVIEW Run-Time or LabVIEW Development System?
I am using the LabVIEW Professional Development System with the version indicated in my first post.

Are you running any sequences when the error occurs?
I typically run the sequence several times when debugging to make sure that the DUT responds the way I want it to. But the error has only occurred when I'm developing while clicking on a different VI after some undefined amount of time (or number of clicks).

Is it possible for you to post the sequence with some of the VIs that reproduce the problem?  The VI block diagrams can be empty.  I would like to see what type of controls you are using. It's a decently large application so I'm not sure you want all my code and I'm not sure I'd be able to hand it over either. (DoD contract and such.) I have defined a few (3 or 4) strict type def controls that are passed as clusters within TestStand. Other than that, most of my calls are to bench-top instruments (SigGen, SpecAn, power supplies) and a PXI switch. The other is through an RS485 connection to talk to the DUT.

One other note: This error hasn't occurred since I posted (of course, right?), but I also haven't done as much back and forth clicking of VIs. I have a hunch that it was related to the sheer number of back and forth clicks between different VIs when I was trying to get the values to be uniform among similar calls when I was setting everything up (similar parameter names in subsequences created from custom data types). I hope that helps.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37
(5,546 Views)

I just got the error again after <2 hours of development. I also hadn't done much back and forth this time (other than when I played around before posting earlier). It only happens on LabVIEW steps. I can navigate as much as I want on all other steps (If, For, Additional Results, message popups, labels, etc.) but happens every single LabVIEW step I click on.

My computer is using Windows XP SP3 and has an Intel Xeon CPU (quad 2.67 GHz), 3.00 GB of RAM. In Task Manager, it shows I've got right around 1 GB of PF Usage with Physical Memory (K) as Total: 3143184, Available: 2050000, System Cache: 1880000. CPU usage is low. So it seems I'm not maxing my system.

Does that help?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37
(5,539 Views)

Each time you select a step in the sequence editor the sequence editor refreshes the Step Settings pane. This error occurs when you select a LabVIEW step and the sequence editor refreshes the LabVIEW Module tab. The message indicates that the LabVIEW Module tab attempted to access a collection data structure with an incorrect index. It appears that once the LabVIEW Module tab gets into this bad state it stays in this state until you restart.

We do not know which collection is involved and we need more information to determine the cause of the problem. Any of the following additional information you could provide would be helpful:

1. When the error occurs, carefully observe the contents of the Module tab. Does the data shown correspond to the selected VI? (Are the path, picture and parameters correct?) If not, which items are incorrect?
  2. The problem might be related to the number and types of parameters and whether they are expanded or collapsed in the Module tab. It also might be related to the state of the LabVIEW Module tab before you select the LabVIEW step that causes the error. When the error occurs make a note of the parameters and try to remember the state of the panel before you selected the step. Does the error occur only with certain types of parameters or with certain parameters expanded?
  3. If you could narrow the problem down to a few steps and if you could provide those steps and VIs that you use we could probably find the problem quickly.

I appreciate your patience and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37
(5,518 Views)

I see this error on a weekly basis as well. Depending on what I'm doing I see on a daily or hourly basis. This info about where and why it might be occurring is useful. If I see any pattern with the VIs I'm calling I'll try narrow down which ones cause the error to appear.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37
(5,504 Views)

I also get this error.  Can't add anything more to the existing discussion other than to point out that there's more than one user with this problem.  FWIW, I'm running TestStand Engine Version 2010 f1 (4.5.0.330), sequence editor version 4.5.0.310, Dev Suite (pro) Labview 2010 SP1 ver. 10.0.1 (32-bit) on networked license, WinXP Pro SP3.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37
(5,452 Views)

I see this error all the time -- I noticed that the last post was from Sept 2011 -- is there any resolution for this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37
(5,335 Views)

Smurray,

I do not know of a fix for this yet, but I would like to get some more information if you could. What versions of TS and LV are you using? Is it also only happening on LV step types? Can you provide a screenshot of this behavior by chance? Finally, does it happen on all sequence files more-or-less randomly, or is it file-specific? 

Any additional information you could provide would be appreciated. 

Regards,

Kyle Mozdzyn

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

Regards,

Kyle M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37
(5,320 Views)