NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error occurred while trying to refresh edit panel "SeqEdit.ba"

Hello,

The error happened once again. I attached the screenshot to this message. The error message appeared just when I expanded the parameter "VISA Ressource name". The Parameters Variables list was expanded. 

I was changing the name of the parameter in all my steps. So just before, I was pointing on another Labview code module ("2440_Init" more probably) was a panel in exactly the same state : 'Error In', 'Error Out' and 'Visa Ressource Name out' were collapsed, only 'VISA Ressource Name' was expanded.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 37
(1,715 Views)

Hello again,

Something new happened this morning : for the first time, this problem raised when a test was running. Before that it only happened during development, but this time it was when trying to open a LV code module panel in the sequence editor running. The program has been stopped with a breakpoint and then ran step by step. The error raised either by doing "next step" or by clicking on any step. See the screenshot below and the corresponding sequence file.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 37
(1,700 Views)

Hi B.log,

Thanks for attaching your files. I'm going to try to replicate the behavior on my end here and will let you know the results as soon as I have them.

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 37
(1,653 Views)
Hi, I have similar problems. In my case the error is caused by large LabVIEW projects (> 3000 files). It is possible to verify the behavior by creating a test project with 5000 VIs in LabVIEW. Then create a sequence in TestStand and insert a LabVIEW action step. Map this step to the project and select a VI. Now try to run the sequence. :-/ It seems to me that the amount of possible elements / VIs in a project decreases while the complexity of the VIs / application (LVOOP!) increases. Trying to split the application in smaller sub projects solves the problem but creates a variety of new errors and crashes. 😞
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 37
(1,628 Views)

I didn't bother reading my initial post, but I'm probably only using a few hundred VIs (including subVIs) at the most. Maybe it's something to do with memory?

Courtney, I realize this is a huge pain to have to research as an AE, but you should at least post back with what you found--or what you tried to do. Does R&D (the PSE) know about this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 37
(1,619 Views)

Hey LoquitoPollo,

I apologize for not posting the results openly on the forum, but I tried to reproduce the issue based on B.log's files, with no success. This issue was passed on to our R&D department, and we have thus far been unable to reproduce the problem for the files provided. That being said, the issue of many VIs isn't something that I have tried integrating into this problem. I will see if I can reproduce the behavior for very large sets of VIs, and post the results. Our R&D department is also actively involved in this issue, and I am working with the PSE to pass along to him the results of these trials.

Hope this helps - if there are any additional details that I need from you in terms of reproducing this based on the scope of your project (a few hundered VIs) or skirchdoerfer's larger project, then I will post those questions here or send them via a Private Message.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 37
(1,602 Views)

B.Log,

Thanks for providing this information. We were able to reproduce the problem and it will be fixed in a future version of TestStand. 

The error occurs when you select a step and TestStand determines which parameter should be selected. Depending on which parameter was selected before you select the step, TestStand might attempt to select a parameter that does not exist for the newly selected step.

There is no workaround, but what you can do is watch for multiple parameters being selected as shown in the attached image. This should not normally occur and it's one of the symptoms of the problem. If you see this situation, select a single parameter and you might be able to avoid the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 37
(1,574 Views)

Hi there

We're getting this same problem, me and my collegues.

It seems that the error appears in random, including in random intervals. I mean, I've worked for days without getting this error, and I could get it five times in a hour (like today).

We're using DevSuite 2012 DS1

Dev_ScreenShot1.jpg

If there's any way to fix this error permanently, it would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 37
(1,529 Views)

Hi Tabuli,

The post prior says that currently there is no permanent fix. This is known behaviour in TestStand. A permanent fix might be available in later versions of TestStand.

Regards,

Perry S.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 37
(1,518 Views)

Hi Perry,

While I'm glad that NI has been able to duplicate the problem, I'm a bit dissapointed to hear that it _may_ (I'm hoping you meant _will_) be fixed in a future version of TestStand.  It sounds like NI thinks that this isn't a big enough problem to devote the resources to finding a fix and releasing a patch -- as a dedicated TestStand developer, I can tell you that this bug is a nightmare from a productivity standpoint.  It occurs often every day, and requires a complete restart of the TestStand development environment.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 37
(1,515 Views)