NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -18005

Hi,

I have a test sequence that runs well with the TestStand 3.5 sequence editor.

But if I run the same test sequence from a LabVIEW 8.0 User Interface of my own (that calls TS), I got the following error:

Error: Parameter 'VisaRessRef (OUT)':
Failed to convert a TestStand type to a LabVIEW type or vice versa. [Error Code: -18005, Failed to convert a TestStand type to a LabVIEW type or vice versa.]

I get this when a VI called by TestStand returns a VisaRessRef (of type LabViewIOControl in TS) to my UI.

If run another test sequence that contains only MsgBox and Wait from my UI, everything works well also.

BTW: I looked in TS: Configures => Adapters... => LabView => Configures , and "Reserve Loaded VIs for Execution" is checked. 

Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Yves
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,900 Views)
Hey Yves,

There was a known issue with VISA I/O nodes (VISA resource name controls) inside a typedefined cluster used through the connector pane of a vi when interacted with from a TestStand step when the LabVIEW adapter is set to use the run-time engine.  It gives the 18005 error.  This is with TestStand 3.5 and LabVIEW 8.0.  It has been fixed in the most recent patch of LabVIEW (8.0.1).  The patch can be downloaded here.
Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 7
(3,886 Views)

Pat

Can you confirm that this Error 18005 issue has been resolved becuase I am seeing exactly the same behavious with LabVIEW 8.0.1 and TestStand 3.5

I've also tried LabVIEW 8.20 and I still get the same problem. Only solution I can find is to revert to LabVIEW 7.1 but that is no longer an option for me due to some recent code changes. Looks like I am stuck executing the sequence using the full LabVIEW installation.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Regards

Chris Roebuck

Filtronic Broadbdand Ltd

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,782 Views)
You should probably post a simple sequence that reproduces the problem so that the Application Engineers can examine it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,777 Views)
I believe the suggestion that James gave will be the quickest way to troubleshoot the problem.  If you could post a small sequence that exhibits this error, I can try and take a look at it here and see what might be causing this error to pop up.
Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,766 Views)
Is the VISA reference valid?  In LabVIEW 8.0 and later, LabVIEW started reporting an error if the VISA reference is not valid (which can happen if the reference was never opened) whenever TestStand tries to read it when using the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine. 
Try opening the reference before passing it to TestStand.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,758 Views)

That's it !

Opening the VISA reference fixes the problem when using the RTE in versions of LV > 8.0

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,735 Views)