From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -17501 flxCVIadp.dll when starting CVI full featured user interface on Windows 7

We see the following error dialog when we launch the CVI full-featured user interface (TestExec.exe):

"Error:

Unable to load test environment adapter 'flxCVIadp.dll'. Run setup to re-install or remove this adapter.

Could not connect to TSAutoMgr.exe server. DCOM permissions might be incorrect because of configuration changes for remote execution.  To fix this issue, ensure that the current user is in the default DCOM access permissions or that no users are in the access permissions section of the dcomcnfg.exe dialog box.  You can use the dcomcnfg.exe program, located in the Windows System directory, to change DCOM access permissions.

Error code: -17501, Unexpected Operating System Error." 

When this error happens, we can't run any calls to CVI code from within the User Interface.

We are running Windows 7.  We don't see the error if we run TestExec.exe from the default location:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\UserInterfaces\Full-Featured\CVI

We get the error message if we copy the CVI directory to somewhere else on the C:\ drive (C:\MyUserInterface for example).  The error happens when we run TestExec.exe directly, but it does not happen if we are already running Labwindows/CVI and we launch TestExec.exe from CVI.

We are seeing this error with both TestStand 4.2.1 and TestStand 2013 running on different PCs.  This error happens on Windows 7, but not Windows XP.  Though we get the same error with our custom user interface, we see the same error with the stock CVI full-features user interface provided by NI.

Any ideas about why we can run this from the TestStand directories, but not any directory on our C:\ drive?

Thanks,
Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,615 Views)

Hi Peter,

Based on the error messages it looks like this might be a Windows 7 security issue, which would be why it doesn't occur on XP since security is handled differently in that OS. Have you gone into dcomcnfg.exe and checked the DCOM permissions as described in the error message?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,580 Views)

I could not reproduce the problem. Did you customize your dcomcnfg settings at all? How are you launching the operator interface? Are you using a different Windows user in the case where it works versus when it doesn't work?

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,529 Views)

Having exactly same error when run SeqEdit.exe as different user (SHIFT + right click the exe, and select run as different user).

Win7.  TestStand 2014.

Do know what to do in dcomcnfg.exe.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,878 Views)

Correction:

I don't know what to do in dcomcnfg.exe

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,873 Views)

Hi Zou,

Have you checked out this article?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ABA98DF5D5A824DB862570AD007C55E7

Regards,

Michael Bilyk

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
Message 6 of 12
(4,842 Views)

Thanks.

Is there a way to distribute this setting to customers ?

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,826 Views)

Hi Zou,

Have you tried repairing or reinstalling TestStand? Maybe you can describe the issue more fully. Are your customers currently getting this error? Are multiple customers getting the issue or just one? What software setup do those customers have?

Regards,

Michael Bilyk

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

Michael Bilyk
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,787 Views)

I mean the DCOM setting.

I don't want to do for every computer.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,784 Views)

I understand, I am trying to get a feeling for the extent of the problem.

Michael Bilyk
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,779 Views)