From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

TestStand 4.2.1 issue whenever I chose to execute Selected Steps I receive this error.  After receiving this error once, every action in TestStand generates this error popup.  Sequences still appear to run but this is very frustrating.

I there some setting missing that is causing this error to appear.  These sequences ran just fine in TestStand 3.5.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,622 Views)

Is this using the SeqEditor?

regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,619 Views)
Yes I am using the sequence editor.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,615 Views)

Hi mvterry,

I have a few clarification questions for you:

1. Is the same behavior exhibited in one of our shipping UIs found under Start>>Programs>>National Instruments>>TestStan>>User Interfaces?
  2. Is it always the same sequence/steps in that sequence that first causesthe problem?
  3. Once the problem occurs, is the only way of fixing it closing TestStand and reopening it?

Cheers,

Michael W

Message Edited by Online Courses on 06-04-2010 04:39 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,577 Views)
Can you post a screen shot of the error you are receiving regards Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,554 Views)

1,  I am strictly using the developer interface in the seq editor.  We have no use for the Operator Interface as the test engineers who write the sequences are the only ones who execute them.

2. We utilize the Report Generator Toolkit from LabView.  It seems as though using the interfaces we designed with this interface causes the issue.  When we upgraded to 4.2.1 from 3.5, I think the IT group forgot to re-register the .dlls we were using with the toolkit.  I have went ahead and did that and have not experienced the problem again...yet.  I haven't executed any sequences with the report generator toolkit either so I am not ready to call it a solution.  Will attempt to execute one again today.

3.  Once the issue occurs, the error returns for every mouse click, tab, or keystroke performed within TestStand.  It is necessary to close and restart TestStand to get rid of the error once it appears.

Thanks for your response and I hope that I have fixed my own problem.  Will repost if this is not the case.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,541 Views)

Once I experience the problem again, I will repost the screen shot.  My apologies for not doing this in my original post.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,539 Views)

error I am having a similar problem. When I try and launch test stand I get this error.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,079 Views)

Go to the directory:

<User Directory>\Local Settings\Application Data\National Instruments\TestStand <version\

And delete the file layout_current.bin.

Then try starting the sequence editor.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Message 9 of 9
(7,069 Views)