NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Executables appear

I have captured the TestStand 3.5 OI LabVIEW files in a LabVIEW 8.20 project file.  I've customized the OI a bit, and I use the Build Specifications area to build an executable.  When I run the executable, my customized OI appears, I can load sequence files, run, etc.  Down at the Windows status area, however, I notice that have two execs running - I've attached the bitmap (note: the names have been changed for proprietary reasons).  Anyway, the real problem is that when I exit my OI, one of the executables continues to run.  I have to go to the Windows Task Manager to kill it.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,242 Views)
I found another tidbit.  Due to a different problem I was having on a different PC, I re-installed TestStand (actually I selected the Repair option).  Now, whether I run one of the TestStand original OIs or my custom one, I don't see the second Exec appear (lock).  I tried this on the problematic PC and it still is doing the same thing.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,219 Views)
Hi mrbean,

Just to verify, on the PC with this problem, have you tried running one of our prebuilt Operator Interfaces?  If so, do you still see this behavior?  Try running the LabVIEW Simple OI and the LabVIEW Full-Featured OI and let me know if you still see this behavior.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,209 Views)
I tried running the LabVIEW Full-Featured OI and I did NOT see this behavior.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,199 Views)
Hi mrbean,

What changes did you make to your custom Operator Interface?  Also, for the screenshot above, why do the two executables have different names?  What is the full name for the second executable?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,195 Views)
Let me start with the two names of the executables ... I modified the [TSUI_OI_MAIN_PANEL]
TESTSTAND_OPERATOR_INTERFACE in UIControlOperatorInterfaceStrings.ini in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 3.5\Components\User\Language\English so as to get the different heading.  So, instead of "TestStand Operator Interface", it has my custom name.  On the machine where things work, I changed that constant to "MrBean OI" for a test.  So (again, on the working PC), when I dbl-clk on the "TE Exec" shortcut, I see (down at the Windows status bar)

TE Exec
TestStand Operator Interface
MrBean OI

then the reverse when I click exit.  All of this occurs in ONE panel on the status bar (if you know what I mean)

At the machine where things don't work (as well), this is what I see when I dbl-clk the TE Exec shortcut -

TE Exec      MrBeanOI         LabVIEW (if I run some tests)
                                              Getting Started

When I dbl-clk Exit,

TE Exec

Other than TE Exec which never goes away (until I kill it using the Task Manager), the other panels disappear too quickly to see if they change text.  I assume MrBeanOI temporarily transitions to TestStand Operator Interface, then exits.

Hopefully this helps you help me
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,179 Views)
Hi mrbean,

I'm still not clear on what you changed.  Did you modify anything else except the .ini file?  Also, I'm not clear, either, on what is happening on the windows bar for the machine that works compared to the machine that doesn't.  Can you post a screen shot of the windows bar for the good machine?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,175 Views)

The changes I made were mostly cosmetic, but some do involve the Top-Level VI.  I'll need to itemize the changes I've made, however, it makes no sense that the changes I made would cause the problems I'm seeing on one machine and not the other.  By the way the nonworking system is a Dell 2850 running Windows XP.

I've attanched the bitmaps of the good/bad runs.  I may not have been clear on this, but on the bad exec, the TE Exec symbol (down in the Windows Status area) can be clicked on, but the engine/OI doesn't get displayed - it's gone

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,165 Views)
I found the problem.  As it turns out, I had fixed this problem on the working PC long ago, but forgot about it on the new one.  I failed to realize that I was seeing the "Debug Warning" that relates to the "Microsoft Tablet PC Platform Component, skchui.dll".   There is a thread out there (search for skchui.dll) that explains what to do to fix this.  Once I disabled the problematic setting, my troubles went away.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,150 Views)