From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Session Manager support alias for VISA devices on remote systems?

I have defined an alias for a device on a remote system.  The resource descriptor is "VISA::visa://s-tengscmqc-xp/ASRL2::INSTR".  I can open a Session Manager to the device using the resource descriptor, but not with the alias.  I'm using MAX 4.0.2.3002 and LV7.0.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,298 Views)

Have you defined that alias on your target system in Max?

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,292 Views)
I have defined a VISA alias on my target machine, but that alias is not visible from my local machine.  I have attached a screen shot of MAX on my local machine showing the alias "SW1" that I have defined.  The problem is that Session Manager does not see this alias.  I can come up with a workaround, but that defeats the purpose of having an alias.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,281 Views)
Hey Mark,

It is possible to specify an alias for a remote VISA session, however, it cannot be done directly from MAX.  There is an NISessionMgr.ini that is located at C:\VXIPNP\WinNT.  This is the ini file where Session Manager reads all of its logical names and aliases.  It is possible to specify a VISA Logical Name here.  For example in my ini file I put Serial2 = "visa://compname/ASRL1::INSTR" underneath [VISA Logical Names].  I was then able to access that remote VISA resource with just "Serial2".  There is a little more explanation inside of the ini file itself as well.  Let us know if this doesn't work.  Have a good one!

Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,261 Views)