From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documentation generation for sequence file in command line interface [docgen]

Dear TestSand Users,

I would like to generate documentation (.txt) for a lot of .SEQ.

I identify the use of docgen.seq (sequence provided by NI [see ..\national instrument\teststand4.2.1\components\tools\docgen\docgen.seq]).
This sequence, executed from the menu "tool" in TestStand window , launches an HMI and allows to generate documentation according to chosen options on the current Sequence File opened.

Idea 1 :
Actually for the run of the sequence I use in windows console the command :
> Call "%TestStand_Path%\SeqEdit.exe" /RunEntryPoint "Single Pass" "%MySequence%" /useexisting /Quit
Is it possible to use an argument (like 'Single Pass' for sequence run)  in order to generate the documentation on MySequence (= call the docgen.seq for MySequence) ?

Idea 2:
Another idea is to modify the docgen.seq to allow to change the reference file (by defaut it's the current file opened, and i would like to make a reference to mySequence).
I tried but it's not easy, the sequence sends an object reference ('RunState.Engine') to the DLL so I don't know where and how make the modification.

Any idea ?

Thanks for you help.

NB : I use TestStand 4.2.1 (it's old but I can't change for the moment)

Sylvain

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,517 Views)

I've just had the same issue. Even if this post is old, here is my suggestions:

1. To run it via command line and generate sequence documentation - mission impossible. The problem is, that it takes for processing currently opened, and active (I mean active on the current tab) sequence file. There is no way to setup sequence path to be processed.

2. It should be possible to modify source code of the tool itself. But, the way how it is done - seems so complicated and strange... We have sequence, which calls dll (generated from the CVI code), which calls sequence file, which has several sequences... I'm wondering, why it is not done as simple processing, using TS API - what can be easily implemented; without this complications. The tool, what should be helpfull for developers - I mean this sequence file documentation generator - is done in a way, that it is not user-friendly... And it is very sad...

3. To solve this task, the best way is to implement own simple tool, which will be run from exe, take input parameters, so the one can start it from the command line.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,514 Views)