From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribute TestStand Application

Hi All,

I have just started to work on TestStand. My work includes various Test Sequences to be controlled and monitored from an User Interface. I had worked on CVI before. Can we make a User Interface similar to CVI in TestStand so that say, if i click a button the corresponding sequence file should be run. My work revolves around the IVI drivers and COM port communication. Please suggest me how to work about this UI and sequence selection.

Coming to the next part, how can we distribute the application developed in TestStand including the UI. Does this require any distribution License from NI?

It would be of great help if someone could sort my confusions out.

Regards,
Siddu
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,277 Views)
Hi Siddu,

Welcome to using TestStand! You don't have to create a userInterface in CVI. We have created two user Operator Interfaces, one relatively simpler than the other, in CVI that are shipped along with TestStand. They can be found at \OperatorInterfaces\NI. The full featured interface has a lot of functionality than the simple interface. However both these interfaces are completely customizable.

To answer the second question, to distribute your application, you can use the TestStand Deployment Utility. The utility can be found within TestStand, under the tools menu >> Deploy TestStand System. The wizard should walk you through the entire process. You can find more information in the TestStand Reference Manual, Chapter 14.

Also, you would need a TestStand Run-Time License for every computer that you would distribute your application on.

Hope this helps.

SijinK
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,263 Views)
In a reply to the previous question, you said ...

" ... to distribute your application, you can use the TestStand Deployment Utility. "
"Also, you would need a TestStand Run-Time License for every computer that you would distribute your application on."

My question, since is, does one need the Run-Time License as a legal issue, or will the TestStand engine fail to run?

The reason I ask, is that I'm having a problem where I see this error at the target when trying to install "ActiveX control not registered on this machine". Does this have anything to do with the Run-Time License? Do you have any suggestions.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,210 Views)
Hi,

I guess your problem has nothing to do with the License issue. As far as i know the Distribution license is just a legal issue.

Regards,
Siddu
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,199 Views)
Hi,

This could be a problem if you are using the License Manager in TestStand 3.1. You may have to active the engine with a new key.

trouble shoot notes

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,194 Views)
You would need to get the Base Deployment System fir TestStand. This would allow you to deploy the TestStand sequences on different machines provided you purchase a license for every machine involved (per seat licensing). You would need to activate the Base Deployment System for each system.

Please see the following web-page for more information on activating your product.
http://sine.ni.com/nilg/jsp/customer_activate_initial.jsp

Thank you

Nandini Subramaniam
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,185 Views)