NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Step Installation Issue

Hello all -

I am attempting to install some custom GPIB step types: From the post from NI Developer Zone: Custom TestStand Step Types that Implement Basic GPIB Functions 

I followed the README that was associated with the file:

1. Unzip the Files to <TestStand Folder>/Components/User/StepTypes/GPIB

2. Copy the NI_GPIBTypes.ini

from <TestStand Folder>/Components/User/StepTypes/GPIB

to <TestStand Folder>/Cfg/TypePalettes

3. Copy the GPIB.ico

from <TestStand Folder>/Components/User/StepTypes/GPIB

to <TestStand Folder>/Components/User/Icons

I followed the above instructions and found that it does NOT work.  I do not understand why in step 2 the NI_GPIBTypes.INI file is copied to the Cfg/TypePalettes folder?  Does anyone know the purpose of this? I attempted to restart TestStand thinking it would find this in the CFG directory and install the custom step types but that did not happen.

When I copied the NI_GPIBTypes.INI file directly to my <TestStand>/Components/User/TypePalettes/ and restarted TestStand, the step types appeared.  Hence, is the above README instructions wrong, or not applicable to TestStand 3.5?

Thanks,

Paul Holzrichter

Software Engineer

Astronautics Corporation of America

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,656 Views)

Hi,

This example was first produced for TestStand version 2.0 and the cfg\typepalettes was the only folder you could store the ini files.

Now with the later versions of TestStand you have to place the ini files in another location, and the default is the NI/TypePalettes. Custom and modified versions are placed in the User folder.

For legacy steptypes the ini file still exists in cfg/typepalettes.

Maybe NI should review their examples on the web site and provide additional notes (code, sequencefiles) for the later versions. (if different)

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,645 Views)