NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Data Type

Solved!
Go to solution

We are using a custom data type container and add Locals variables of that type to use in the sequence.

It seems that that field names of the Locals variable have to match the field names as they were originally entered in the custom data type container.

We want to reuse the custom data type container several times in the sequence and would like to have the field names descriptive of their use, which changes throughout the sequence.

Is there a way to just rename the field names of a Locals variable that is of type, custom data type container, while keeping the custom data type container field names original?

Using TestStand 2013

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,535 Views)

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible.  It seems like the whole purpose of using data types is to avoid what you want to do.  However, I do notice in LabVIEW you can have strictly typed and just typed.  In the typed I believe you can do what you are asking.  In TestStand it is more like the strictly typed where this isn't possible.  

You can right click on the type def and go to Properties>>Advanced>>Edit Flags...  You can set the unstructured property flag which will allow you to change instance names like you want but it seems to disconnect it from the type def when you do this.

If it were me I'd just change the Comment for the field to reflect what I was after.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 4
(3,515 Views)

this might be a solution to your problem.

This example uses Data Types. In the Locals of MainSequence is an array of Data Types {Type1, Type2}. Type1 is a container with a Number and String. Type2 is a String and a Boolean.
The SubSequence 1 and 2 have a container parameter which is empty.
In MainSequence a step calls SubSequence1 an passes array element0 and SubSequence2 is passed array element1.

Each subsequence displays the data passed in and modifies the data for return to the caller.
In MainSequence the modified returned data is displayed after each SequenceCall.

regards

Ray Farmer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,496 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CC57

Hi CC57,

I would also recommend trying out a Variable template; you can use this to create a container with a particular name that you can copy into various locations in the variables pane and change the names of the contained properties there.

Message 4 of 4
(3,467 Views)