NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Commands in Installer

Anyone see anything wrong with this Installer custom command?  (See attached).  I'm simply trying to create a directory using the dos mkdir command.  The help for the custom commands in teststand installer is really lousy.  (Not a single example of actually using a custom command to do anything!)  I can run this command from the dos command line and it works fine, but if I put the exact command in custom commands it bombs out.  Very frustrating...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,147 Views)

John -

When you say that it bombs out, I'm assuming that you encounter an error when running the installer on the target machine. If this is correct and you are using TestStand 4.1.1, you may be encountering an issue addressed by the following patch:

Installer built with Deployment Utility and including custom commands crashes

Hope this helps.

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,113 Views)
Yes, it gives an error when running the installer.  I saw the patch before and it says that it fixes a problem encountered when deploying to a target that does not already have TestStand installed.  That is not my case - Teststand is already installed on the target machine.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,106 Views)

This is how I use the Custom Commands window from the TestStand Deployment Utility: 

Create a batch file and put your command in the batch file.  Add the batch file to your workspace file and project.  Deploy it to the installation directory.

Then set the Custom Commands window to the following attached picture.  I always check the box 'Show Command Progress Window' as this sometimes give a clue to what happens when things go wrong!

Thanks,

Paul Holzrichter

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,092 Views)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has this been fixed in the main TS install?  I ask because I'm triyng to do the exact same thing, and running into an error.  

Specifically, run mkdir "C:\Existing Directory\New Directory".  

I've tried running the command on the machine via the command line, and it works, so it's not a persmissions issue.  

And it seems unnecessarily complex to run a command to run a batch file that just runs another command.  

I'm currently using TestStand 2014 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,420 Views)

So posting this for the sake of including the solution if someone else searches for it in the future.

To get standard command line commands to work in the custom commands window, here's what you have to do:

Command Directory: None
Commands and Arguments: cmd.exe /c mkdir "C:\Existing Directory\New Directory"

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,220 Views)