NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create asynchronous steptype

Hi everybody!

at present I'm using the 'Run Vi Asynchronously' step to execute a LAbView vi, that needs to run in the background.

Because this call is used very often, I'm trying to build an custom steptype with this functionality.

(the asynchronous vi needs the sequence context as input; and an edit substep is needed, too)

In order to keep the sequence file simple, and because multiple instances are neccessary, a subsequence for this task won't work.

Here is what I tried so far:

- At the type palette: Create a copy of the 'Run Vi Asynchronously' step supplied by NI. The problem is that I cannot modify the step like I need. Neither the pannel to select the vi (which works great in the sequence editor) is accessable, nor can I manipulate the variables directly (they seem to be write protected, and I don't konw how they exactly work).

- As an other approach I tried to manipulate the ini-file with a text editor. Here I have complete access, but no knowledge how things work. So I'd be glad for some help here, too.

Any suggestions how to build a step like this?

(I'm using TestStand 3.1 and LAbView 7.1)

Message Edited by ah-shook on 08-01-2005 11:18 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,760 Views)
first you have to copy the StepType from "NI_Types.ini" to "MyTypes.ini". This copy still references the original. You can see this in the "usage" column: The StepType is still used in the "NI-Types.ini" To get an instance of this StepType only used in "MyTypes.ini" you have to make another copy of this copy. Now in the "Usage" Column only "MyTypes.ini" should appear. You are free to change whatever you want in this Steptype now.

Regards,

André

Message Edited by Andre_Saller on 08-04-2005 06:46 AM

Message 2 of 3
(2,743 Views)
Hi André,
it worked like you said, almost. Some Data was additionaly protected with Data Type Flags.
(Select a Value -> Properties -> Advanced... -> Type Determines Instance Flags)

Thanks for your help.

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,705 Views)