From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Input and Outputs of a VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am fairly new to TestStand but I am trying to link, a VI's input with output. So I made an example project and doing the follwing:

First VI:

Takes two numbers and adds them and outputs the result to an indicator

Second VI:

Takes a number and squares it and outputs it 

They look like thisCapture.PNG

I can do this fairly easily in Labview, I would just link the out of the First VI to the Second VI's input. Can I do this in TestStand?

I only get this far before i got stuck, as demonstrated in the picture below:

squaretwonumbersTestStand.PNG

Do I have to hit f(x) and link it somehow to the first VI in my main setup? (which look like this):

VISETUP.PNG

Apologize in advance if this is really straightforward and I'm missing something obvious!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,552 Views)

You could create a local variable in your sequence and then the output of the first VI goes into that variable.  Then, the second VI takes that local variable as an input.

Pulido Technologies LLC

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,533 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ibzrehmani

You can use a variable to pass data around TestStand:

1. Right Lick under Locals in the Variables pane
  2. Insert Local » Number » (give your variable a name)
  3. Write the output of your VI to that variable (either using the f(x) or typing it out):Capture.PNG
  4. Pass your variable into the next VI.

You'll probably find the Getting Started With TestStand guide useful, chapters 5 and 11 cover variables and VI's.

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
Message 3 of 4
(4,528 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ibzrehmani

Attached Demo sequence ,which will explain how to asssign Local variables and use as input and output

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 4
(4,497 Views)