NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing data within new thread in parallel with main

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a main sequence file. In the main, I have a sequence call that intializes an oscilloscope and returns to main. Next main action, I have the user turn on a power supply and confirm with a message popup. My issue now is, I need to create a new thread before the 'turn on power supply' action so the oscilloscope catches all inrush and keeps recording. So if this is the case, what I am trying to do is:

Oscilloscope Initialize sequence call

Oscilloscope Fetch sequence call

Message Popup, turn on power supply, confirm with 'OK'

- Now, ever since the user turned on the power supply I need compare all data, even during the time user turns on power supply and clicks 'OK' and after.

So, I am needing an oscilloscope running in parallel and comparing data while the main sequence is running. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
(3,258 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TreyB

The sequence call step type has an option to call a sub sequence in a new thread.

Oscilloscope Fetch sequence call ( call in a new thread and it will be acquiring signals until it gets a stop signal from main seq.)

Delay if required

Set the stop signal for the thread to close.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 5
(3,243 Views)

@SunRS wrote:

The sequence call step type has an option to call a sub sequence in a new thread.

Oscilloscope Fetch sequence call ( call in a new thread and it will be acquiring signals until it gets a stop signal from main seq.)

Delay if required

Set the stop signal for the thread to close.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Very much what I am looking for. I have a script set up but yet to test it. When I call the fetch sequence, I labeled it as a 'new thread' but how would I use a 'stop signal' in the main sequence to stop the fetch thread? So, once I call the fetch sequence and return to main, the fetch sequence will continue running and gathering data, or what I tell it to do, until I call it to stop in the main sequence, correct?

Message 3 of 5
(3,235 Views)

I am attaching a sample sequence.

You need a common variable between the main sequence and the thread to stop it.I used file globals.

Message 4 of 5
(3,222 Views)

Thank you Sun. After your original response I went back and made it very similar to what your example provided so seems I was on the right track.

Message 5 of 5
(3,208 Views)