NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot insert field or paste in existing Local Variable (container of booleans)

Solved!
Go to solution

Cannot insert field or paste in existing Local Variable (container of booleans)...  TestStand 4.1.

This is very strange, especially since I have done it before. 

The "paste" and "insert field" selections are greyed out and disabled from the right-click menu.  I have tried everything I could imagine, and searched various combinations of posts.  I am sure it is something redicoulously simple, bu I cannot find the redicule to solve this annoying issue.

The local variable is a container of booleans.  It has 90 elements and I need to add one more.  I cannot edit / rename or do anything with this Local.  Must be karma (for thos who know me in the LabVIEW forum).  Usually, you right click, insert field and it's there..  Not this one..

Has anyone seen this before?  Closing and re-opening TestStand did not change anything.  There is a matching cluster in LabVIEW which feeds the local in TestStand.

It is a container of custm data type.  The Edit Flags are ok (edit is allowed).  Can't think of any other valuable info..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,298 Views)

The only things I can think of off the top of my head is that the file is read-only or...

you are logged in with an account that doesn't have permissions to edit sequence files?

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,293 Views)

I can edit the sequence file and I can modify the non-custom Locals. 

What I did was modify the LabVIEW cluster (added the new element) and saved the VI (typeDef control). 

Opened TestStand, loaded the sequence file, went to the sequence step that uses the cluster info (Locals container) and reloaded the prototype.

Usually that worked..  But this time, I cannot match the container to the LabVIEW cluster...  AAArrgghhh!!!

I'm sure it was a simple step.  Either I cannot remember exactly what I did or something odd is going on.

I think I forgot an important step.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,289 Views)

Ignore the post, I did not read your first post.

CLA CTAChampionI'm attending the GLA Summit!
Subscribe to the Test Automation user group: UK Test Automation Group
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,283 Views)

I should correct an erratum in my original post.. 

Since I am not the original author of the code, I am not sure it is a custom container.  As a matter of fact, I don't think it is.

It does not appear in the custom data types.  So it must be a Local.

I will attempt to clarify what I am dealing with...  (TestStand 4.1)

Maybe pictures are worth thousands of words.

As with typical TestStand projects, there are various variables:  Locals, Parameters, FileGlobals, etc..  Nothing odd here.

The one I am concerned about is the Options_Present which is a container of booleans.

I am sure I have edited this one before.  Although I seem to recall that it was automatic after changing the cluster in LabVIEW.

Within the Locals, the  2 that are underligned in red do not allow to edit anything (change name, add, delete, paste).

Trying to Insert Field or paste are not possible.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,261 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ray.R

Found it..

It has to be edited within the data Types..  So it was not automatic after reloading the prototype from LabVIEW.

I knew it was something silly that I was not doing..  I was getting close... but had not looked far enough.

I was looking at the Types Palette, but not into the Sequence File..

Message 6 of 6
(4,258 Views)