cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot configure TS Object parameter in steptype

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

in TS 2014 (64bit) I am trying to configure a StepType for calling a C++ dll function.

The function expects some TS::PropertyObject parameters. When configuring the call directly, not as a StepType, this works fine. But when I try to set this parameter type in the StepType dialog (regardless of using default module or PostStep>Specifcy Module), the parameter type remains empty.

After selecting the "TS Object" category, I get the list of object types, but when I select TS::PropertyObject (or any other, at that) the Type setting remains empty and the description field simply shows an asterisk.

Am I doing something wrong or is that not possible in a StepType?

Regards

Peter

2017-01-12_22h39_51.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,571 Views)

Hello pwaszkewitz,

For a normal step it works, but in the custom step i also can not select this. I have to test some more, because in the examples normally ThisContext will be transfered as a parameter.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,522 Views)

Hello pwaszkewitz,

The property appears to be updated on the step, specifically <Step Type>.Substeps.<SubStep>.TS.SData.Call.Parms[x].Type. Can you verify that the substep actually works? If it does, this might just be a cosmetic issue.

To workaround this by specifying the parameter to be an Object and type is  ActiveX Automation IDispatch Pointer or ActiveX Automation IUnknown Pointer?

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,488 Views)

When I try to run a step created with the StepType showing the empty types where TS:: PropertyObject should be, it fails with the following error:

Error message: -17313: Object interface of argument expression 'Step.HdvpInterface.ControlOutputs' is incompatible with parameter. Expected , found TS::PropertyObject

I can however edit the interface of the step after insertion, change the empty types to TS:: PropertyObject and then execute the step correctly.

So I think it is not cosmetic, it actually does not work (or I am missing some trick), but with an Edit substep that fills in the missing types etc. it should work.

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,472 Views)

Peter,

reading your reply, i think the easiest short term solution would be to add an OnNewStep substep module which automatically fills in that paramenter type entry. Using this, you can provide a working custom step type immediatly and do not require any rework of the DLL.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 5 of 7
(3,466 Views)
Solution
Accepted by pwaszkewitz

Using OnNewStep is likely not necessary. A simple workaround should be to edit the property of the step type where the object name is stored, specifically the following String value:

<Type>.Substeps[x].TS.SData.Call.Parms[x]StructType

See attached image for reference.

Once you do this, the substep dialog shows the proper name. After you make this change, try dropping a new instance of the step in a sequence and running it.

Scott Richardson
Message 6 of 7
(3,458 Views)

Works perfectly, thank you!

Also thanks to all the others who took the trouble of working on this problem and for their suggestions. I learned a lot and OnNewStep may come in handy again.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,446 Views)