From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use active directory to validate users?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

Is it possible to link Active Directory to Teststand users ?

I would like to do this as it  will allow the user to use their same log in password for the PC.

Kind Regards

Shakeel

Help share your knowlegde
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,949 Views)

If you refer to the already logged in Windows User (that is what i understand in this context with the Active Directory user!), yes, this can be done.

In the Station Options >> User Manager, check the "Automatically login Windows System User" option.

Norbert

EDIT: You have to create a user in TestStand with the approptiate name first. If you do this manually, use the User Manager tool in the tool icon bar (Ctrl+U).

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,946 Views)

Hi Norbert 

Thanks for the reply.

Further explanation.

Active Directory contains the password for all the PC users in the company. I would like to check via teststand against that password (The password stored in active directory)  to allow access to user Teststand

Edit: I cant user the Automatically Login Windows System User is becasue the one PC is used mby a few employees.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,943 Views)

Automatically Login Windows System User is what you are looking for....

Here what the TS help states regarding this setting:

Automatically Login Windows System User—For the initial login, TestStand attempts to log in the current Microsoft Windows user name in the TestStand user list. If the user name is found in the user list, TestStand automatically logs in the user at the appropriate level without prompting for a password. If the user name is not found, TestStand prompts the user to log in. In order to use this option, you must create a user entry in the TestStand User Manager and enter the Windows login name for the user as their TestStand login name.

I hope this clears things up.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,938 Views)

Ok so i tested the Automatically Login Windows System User and it logs the current pc in but if i try another user on the network it does not do the same.

I need any one on the network to be able to log in with their User name and password not just the local PC and i do not want it to automatically log in.

Is this possible?

If it it possible with the Automatically Login Windows System User, How do i do it for network users?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,936 Views)

Windows System User is defined as the user who is logged into the system (PC). It is not applicable for users who connect using e.g. remote desktop unless they relog in Windows.

What is the use case that the local logged in user is not the best choice for you?

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,930 Views)

I have a PC that Multiple different employees use but they log in with a generic password. So i need them to log into teststand with their specific details.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,927 Views)

TestStand provides a separate user management. My recommendation with the Windows System User was due to the experience that most TS users want to get rid of the separate log-in, but still determine the currently active user (e.g. for reporting).

If you don't mind about the separate log-in but want those user to be part of TS, you can write a tool which collects possible users and their passwords and put those into TS.

If you have a question on this, we can surely help with information on the TS part... however, i am not sure if there are others on the forum familiar with Active Directory to read out "possible" users....

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,921 Views)

Hi Norbert

So i found a solution but i need to add a new user using CVI but im not sure how to, as this function TS_EngineDisplayNewUserDialog is not what i need. I need to add a user transparently.

The solution is to use the FrontEndCallbacks.seq. I modified the login function to use LDAP to request verification of the username and password from Active Directory and that is linked to a user thats part of teststand.

Thats why i need to add the user to teststand via CVi if the user is valid.

I did add a new post regarding the User Adding a new user with CVI..

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,879 Views)

Hey Shako,

This page explains how to create a new TestStand user, and it explains how to do it within TestStand or outside of TestStand (like with CVI).

Hope that helps!

-Will

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,856 Views)