NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I desynchronize one station with batch process model?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

My project has 5 stations run test in parallel. I decide to use batch process model since I want them to start and stop together. Beside start and stop, I have some certain part in the test sequence need to sync together. But in 5 stations, I want one station work without sync at these steps. I tried using batch synchronize with precondition but it looks like other stations still wait for the one I skip the sync. My another option is using rendervous with number of parallel thread is total - 1. I test and this works. But I still want to know if I can use batch synchronize step or not because this offer the start sync and exit sync feature.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,726 Views)

What are you wanting to do in the non-batch thread? Does it represent a UUT or just something you want to happen asynchronously? If it's just something you want to happen asynchronously you can just create a new thread using a "new thread" sequence call and in the advanced settings of the sequence call, set the calling sequence to not wait for it to complete.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,692 Views)

Doug,

Thanks for your answer.

I want to have something happens parallel with other threads but without affect by batch sync steps. I have multiple stations working parallel in assembly line. They are sync because of pick and place. But I want to have one process works as station manager who keep track of UUT between station and other environment condition like pressure, temperature.

Thang

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,688 Views)

Thang,

I believe Doug's idea is the best workaround. Use the batch process model to synchronize the 4 stations and then have the 5th station run outside of the batch process model. I do not believe there is a way to desynchronize a single station in the batch process model.

Matt P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,662 Views)

Matt,

I am still not clear how I can make the 5th station run outside of the patch. As I understand form Matt solution, I need to set to 4 test socket then from one step in the sequence call new sequence select new thread and go to advance setting to set it to not wait for it to complete. I guess I have to set the condition to have this sequence call run only once in all sockets. Do I understand correctly?

Regards,

Thang Nguyen

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,656 Views)
Solution
Accepted by NTT

@NTT wrote:

Doug,

Thanks for your answer.

I want to have something happens parallel with other threads but without affect by batch sync steps. I have multiple stations working parallel in assembly line. They are sync because of pick and place. But I want to have one process works as station manager who keep track of UUT between station and other environment condition like pressure, temperature.

Thang

Generally, the intent of the TestSockets in the process models is that they will have a 1 to 1 correspondence to UUTs, does your 5th socket correspond to a UUT? In otherwords are there 5 UUTs under test at one time? UUTs often need things like report generation or database logging. Does your 5th socket require report generation? If not perhaps this 5th socket is really more of a utility thread and thus creating a new thread or execution at runtime makes sense for it. If your 5th socket instead does really correspond to a UUT that is being tested in parallel enitrely separately from the other UUTs then perhaps you should start up a new execution for that socket using the sequential model and just have that running at the same time as your other sockets are running with the batch model.

So it really depends on what you are using that 5th station/thread for as to what approach would likely work best.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Message 6 of 7
(4,637 Views)

Dough,

Thanks for your detail answer.

Thang

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,629 Views)