NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI RTE in Teststand

Hi,

I have a doubt on CVI RTE which is been used in TS. In my machine there are multiple versions of CVI RTE and TS installed. Also I have dlls build with different versions of CVI. In TS which CVI RTE will be used to execute these dlls which is compiled in different versions of CVI? If I install the latest CVI RTE will my old versions of dll will be executed by TS ? Which version of CVI RTE will used by TS in multiple CVI RTE ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,741 Views)

The LabWindows/CVI Run-Time Engine is backwards compatible and may be used with applications that were created with previous versions of LabWindows/CVI. Since it's "may be used", it's most likely the case that TS will use RTE that match dll version to run it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,732 Views)

TestStand will use the latest CVIRTE dll.This is backward compatible.

I have always seen only one version of the CVIRTE.dll on a machine ( New installers replaces the old one).

You can cross check this in MAX.

I have seen some issue when very old versions of CVI codes were used with latest CVIRTE.dll ( but thats very rare).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,721 Views)

Note that starting with CVI 2012 and later, the CVI ADE supports creating an EXE or DLL that targets a specific version of the CVI RTE. The feature is called side by side (SxS) RTE, but unless you have done anything special when compiling the CVI DLL or CVI EXE, the resulting binary will alwasys link to the latest shared version of the RTE that is installed to the Windows system.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,712 Views)