NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTD Exam Preparation

Hi folks,

I'm kind a new here. I'm planning to take the CTD exam in couple weeks / by next month (around early Dec). I have few questions and I really need input / suggestion from whoever have already taken the test.

Currently I'm reviewing all the materials from Test Stand 1 Course Manual and just focusing in Developer Material (not touching any Architect course / NI Test Stand 2). I have taken both trainings and been using Test Stand around 11 months so far. Also, I'm taking advantage practice from http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/CTD-and-CTA-Practice-Exams/m-p/2540340/highlight/true#M41883, CTD practice exam posted by jiggawax.

1) Somehow I feel I need study more but I don't have any materials. Does anybody can refer me with something ? I feel something missing

2) How hard is the test ? Is it suffice just by reviewing Test Stand 1 Course manual and taking practice from jiggawax ?

3) I did training for LabView Core 1,2 and CVI / Lab Windows Core 1 and 2. Should I do quick review for all of them ? It's still big dilemma for me. My point is I just want to be ready for the test.

Finally, I would really apperciate all kind of help on my exam preparation. Getting nervous and excited 🙂

Cheers,
Andrew 

true
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,894 Views)
Hi Andrew,

The best way to study would be to go through the Test Stand 1 Course Manual and making sure you understand the topics presented in there. The practice exams are great, however the actual CTD is more difficult. You can try checking out Test Stand help documentation for specific topics you want to brush up on. http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/.

We also have a preparation guide that outlines the topics covered on the exam: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6419/en/. This might give you a good starting point.

As far as LabVIEW and LabWindows/CVI Core 1 and 2, you don't need to review those for the CTD, I would just focus on Test Stand 1 Course Material.

Best of luck!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,857 Views)

You'll find on the CTD that they combine between 2 to 5 topics into one question.  My CTD practice is simply one topic per question.  So basically take the practice exam I created and multiply by 4.... haha.

So combine creating steps with configuring TestStand with callbacks and you'll have a typical CTD question:

"When overriding the SequenceFilePostStepFailure in a client sequence file, a LabVIEW step is changing the report options to not not be an XML report.  What step type should be used for this kind of activity?"

That's just an example.  lol  And for fun they'll throw in some User Management into the mix.

They do use a lot of double negatives on the exam.  So the question will have a NOT or Don't in it and the correct answer will have a NOT or Don't in it.

Anyhow, like Riccardo said.  Study the manual and understand how it is all linked together.  Understanding an isolated topic is not enough.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 3 of 9
(6,854 Views)

You'll find on the CTD that they combine between 2 to 5 topics into one question.  My CTD practice is simply one topic per question.  So basically take the practice exam I created and multiply by 4.... haha.

I agree with you, and yours I believe it's pool question (around 256) and the lesson numbering is given. What you mentioned is kinda suprised me. They will combine 2-5 topics in one question then it means in 1 question it can be from Lesson 1 combined with lesson 3 and so on ? How can they make it into one question. 🙂

"When overriding the SequenceFilePostStepFailure in a client sequence file, a LabVIEW step is changing the report options to not not be an XML report.  What step type should be used for this kind of activity?"

Hmmm...guessing; probably configure your Result Processing???? Smiley Surprised But you're asking step type; it could be Action, Statement , Tests or Property Loader ??

They do use a lot of double negatives on the exam.  So the question will have a NOT or Don't in it and the correct answer will have a NOT or Don't in it.

I'm kinda confuse with this statement. Would you please give me an example ?

Anyhow, like Riccardo said.  Study the manual and understand how it is all linked together.  Understanding an isolated topic is not enough.

How about from NI White paper ? Should I study it from there as well ?

Thanks jigg and Riccardo

Cheers,

Andrew

true
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,838 Views)

I agree with you, and yours I believe it's pool question (around 256) and the lesson numbering is given. What you mentioned is kinda suprised me. They will combine 2-5 topics in one question then it means in 1 question it can be from Lesson 1 combined with lesson 3 and so on ? Yes this is exactly what I'm saying. How can they make it into one question. :smileyhappy:

Hmmm...guessing; probably configure your Result Processing???? :smileysurprised: But you're asking step type; it could be Action, Statement , Tests or Property Loader ?? I was just showing you an example of how they would combine multiple topics into one question.  I'm not sure my question here even really makes sense.

I'm kinda confuse with this statement. Would you please give me an example ? Which of the following is not true:

a. There is not a SequentialModel.seq file that ships with TestStand

In the question and answer there is a not.  So instead of focusing on TestStand the test taker tends to focus on trying to figure out the wording.

How about from NI White paper ? Should I study it from there as well ? This would not hurt.  I recommend it.

Cheers,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 5 of 9
(6,830 Views)

So instead of focusing on TestStand the test taker tends to focus on trying to figure out the wording

Understood and I agree with your statement. Let's see, I'm planning take the test in early Dec. Still reviewing and studying every day

true
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,826 Views)

August is coming as well the CTD exam is coming. Finally, I'm going to take it. I have been practicing almost 5 months for this. Reviewing jiggawax test, practice test stand, review the course (online) and manual. So far, my brain can automatically understand and answer the question directly. I'm not sure if the test will combine different types of lesson. I guess reading back your question again about "When overriding the SequenceFilePostStepFailure in a client sequence file, a LabVIEW step is changing the report options to not not be an XML report.  What step type should be used for this kind of activity?"

SequenceFilePostStepFailure --> Engine Callback from sequence callback, you can override that to change the post step (don't remember which specific lesson, between 5 or 6 I believe) 

a LabView step is changing the report option to not to be an XML report--> I assume this is the code module that interacts to TestStand API, not to be an XML, can be csv, txt or xls

What step stype should be used for this kind of activity ? --> Now the question is really interesting if this can be make sense

so okay to answer this, there can be couple scenario. What I have in my mind is using Property Loader and Additional Result (In case you want to log specifically to the dynamic /static properties ). Mainly I would go with Property loader and specify the file. Another way to do is do override/modify the report generation on the process model and specify the output as same as what LabView report option does

true
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,034 Views)

Although I appreciate your attempt to answer that question, the question itself does not make sense.  I was just demonstrating how 3 different chapters could be combined into one question.  My example quiz is really just following the manual.  Whereas the CTD will combine chapters of the manual into 1 question.

The real answer to "When overriding the SequenceFilePostStepFailure in a client sequence file, a LabVIEW step is changing the report options to not not be an XML report.  What step type should be used for this kind of activity?"

Don't change the report options in this callback.  That's a horrible place to do so.

Good luck on your CTD.  I wish you the best.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 8 of 9
(6,004 Views)

Yeay, passed the test. It's official now. Getting ready for the next journey CTA.

My exam today was tough - I wasn't surprised because I took jig suggestion. a lot of questions about multithreading / multihead tester. Nothing about deployment. A lot of things about parallel testing as well. More kind of daily basis subject.Definetly got a huge amount of helps from jiggawax test stand question. Indeed, you were right about mentioning don't rely 100%  on your sample. It's just a tool. Some of the questions are really tricky (wording issue). 

For CTD, this is my opinion:

I guess I started with jig question and nailed until 98-100% everyday. Review the question you missed and also Access the training Test Stand development 1 on ni.learn.com (review it at least twice). Do the jig question again and write up notes.  Try to not wasting time with concept you've already known. Complete your study by take a technical depth for untouched area (such as Database, Deployment, and Multithread testing). Keep doing that for 3 months as routine and I bet you'll nail the test like I did.

true
Message 9 of 9
(5,807 Views)