NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Server TypeLib can't be found

I can't specify Automation Server in TestStand sequence editor. The automation server DLL is registered correctly. But, TestStand can't find the TypeLib. Noticed that TestStand recognized key value had been changed when the DLL was unregistered and registered back. Which suggested me that TestStand has found the correct classID but can not read TypeLib key. The same DLL is used in some other PC's and have no problem with TestSatnd sequence. Does anyone have suggestion how I can corrct this without having to reinstall the whole TestStand Suite?  
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,007 Views)

Hi,

Can you give me more information about what you are trying to do as well as what you are trying to accomplish?  If you could walk me through each of the steps you have gone through in trying to use this dll that has led to this error, I may be able to figure out why you are seeing this behavior.  The more detailed you are, the better able I will be to reproduce what you are seeing.

Thanks,
Caroline Tipton
Data Management Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,989 Views)

Caroline,

This happens to a particular PC that I am supporting for my TestStand shell. Using DLL my TestStand sequence pulls a set of data and report to database. The same DLL and sequence are used in many other PC's. Error occurs when the sequece is loading the step that creates an object reference to the DLL. I try this in LabView. In LabView it failed to open the reference to the DLL. I noticed even though LabView editor allows specifying the ActiveX server (DLL) and list methods and properties, the error occurrs in openning. In TestStand, I get this error in step's specification. I also cleaned the registry and re-registered the DLL to see if TS can recognize the correct Registry Key. I tried repairing LV and TS. Nothing changed the error status. Did I explain clearly? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,978 Views)

Hi,

I am still unclear as to exactly what you are trying to do.  What dll is this that you are trying to use?  Is this one you made from scratch or 3rd party?  Also, please go through step by step what you are doing and where you are seeing the unexpected behavior or error.  If you are getting an error, please tell me exactly what the error says.  Also, did you say that this did not work in LabVIEW alone as well as TestStand?  Please make a numbered list of each step you take in trying to call this dll.  That way I can try and pinpoint the issue.

Thanks,
Caroline Tipton
Data Management Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,964 Views)

This problem has been resolved. It was not NI nor the corrupted registry that caused the problem. I used a third-party ActiveX Server DLL (#1) with a correct version. The DLL (#1) was actually referencing another third-party DLL (#2) that happened to be an older version than what was expected. In TestStand, loading this DLL (#1) generated "-18351: AnError Occuredreading an ActiveX Automation Server type library". After the expected version of DLL (#2) installed, the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,951 Views)