NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Sequence File Globals of the Client Sequence File

How do I write to the sequence file globals of the client sequence file from within the context of the preuut sequence of the process model?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,380 Views)

This is the path to the Fileglobals of your client sequence file... I'm not exactly sure if you can actually modify permanently or temporarily the values in there...

RunState.ProcessModelClient.Data.FileGlobalDefaults

Good luck!!!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,371 Views)
As <<-N->> mentioned, you can modify the sequence file globals from RunState.ProcessModelClient.Data.FileGlobalDefaults.  Keep in mind this is going to attempt to permanently modify the sequence file globals rather than modifying the edit time copy that is normally modified.
Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,351 Views)

Patric:

How do I edit the runtime/edittime set of file globals? I don't want to permanently modify the sequence file.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,341 Views)
Hey Steve,

Although it might be possible to modify the Run-Time copy of the client's file globals, I don't know if I would recommend doing it.  I should have probably mentioned this before, but this really goes against the whole concept of file globals.  They are only supposed to be accessed by sequences contained within that specific sequence file. In other words you are trying to access a variable outside of its scope.

There may also be some unintended side effects that make this a poor design choice. For example, you are now imposing a requirement that all client sequence files have certain file globals which will make your test system less modular.  Debugging will become more difficult as well.

All this aside, there are a few possible solutions.  One option is to create a new callback within the process model.  You can override the new callback from within your client sequence file, and from here pass any information you need from the process model to the client sequence. Another solution is to just store the information in the process model, and access it through the RunState.Root property within the client sequence file.

If you want to explain your application a little more, with specifics on what you are wanting to do, we might be able to provide some better solutions.
Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,327 Views)