NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david_jenkinson

paths stored in testexec.ini to somewhere else

We source control testexec.ini, becuase I want to replicate the custom path information, which is stored in testexec.ini, among our other stations.  But, whenever I start teststand, it tries to write to testexec.ini for some reason,  and I get the "can't write to testexec.ini" message because this file is set to read only when checked in (which in our case is most of the time). I have become so accustomed to clicking this message that I dont' even think about it. 

But, I do have a request to the developers.  Please store path information (paths configured under configure/search directories) to a file all by itself, or to a file that does not share so much other information that testexec.ini stores (which is a lot).  I notice there is a file called teststandperistedoptions.opt, that appeared around TS2010, that perhaps a lot of the testexec.ini stored stuff can be migrated to?  That way I won't get this message every time I start teststand. 

At least one other person has had a similar issue.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/TestExec-ini-version-control/td-p/1048091

Thanks

David Jenkinson

5 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

This sounds like it should be posted in the NI TestStand Idea Exchange rather than the LabVIEW Idea Exchange.

david_jenkinson
Active Participant

woops.  Yes indeed

warren_scott
Active Participant

We've got the same problem (except not limited to just search paths, but also wanting to restrict station configuration). 

We found that the easiest way around this for us was to revision control testexec_Default.ini, and have a quick/easy way to overwrite testexec.ini with the default version one that is in source control.  It's kinda/almost like the Install_ prefix for types palettes, except that it is manual and for testexec.ini.

If there were a similar thing where we could have an revision controlled Install_testexec.ini file that stores specific settings and always overwrites testexec.ini with those specific settings at the beginning of each launch that could be useful.

netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed

Regards,

Kristen M