From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand Idea Exchange

Community Browser
Top Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post an idea

When TestStand has a problem with a module, it provides a Red Exclamation mark to show detail on the problem. 

When you hove over the Red Exclamation mark, you get the details, sometimes with a file path to the detailed error log. 

Need a way to copy/paste the data from the details bubble. Better would be a hyperlink to the file location. 

Right now my workaround is: 

- Screen capture while hovering over the red exclamation mark

- Paste the screen capture in MS Paint

- Re arrange the windows to show MS Paint & MS Explorer 

- Navigate down file path to find the log file. 

mwatkins_0-1594408509848.png

We source control testexec.ini, becuase I want to replicate the custom path information, which is stored in testexec.ini, among our other stations.  But, whenever I start teststand, it tries to write to testexec.ini for some reason,  and I get the "can't write to testexec.ini" message because this file is set to read only when checked in (which in our case is most of the time). I have become so accustomed to clicking this message that I dont' even think about it. 

But, I do have a request to the developers.  Please store path information (paths configured under configure/search directories) to a file all by itself, or to a file that does not share so much other information that testexec.ini stores (which is a lot).  I notice there is a file called teststandperistedoptions.opt, that appeared around TS2010, that perhaps a lot of the testexec.ini stored stuff can be migrated to?  That way I won't get this message every time I start teststand. 

At least one other person has had a similar issue.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/TestExec-ini-version-control/td-p/1048091

Thanks

David Jenkinson