NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warren_scott

automatically add TS analyzer messages to ignore list

When developing custom TS sequence analyzer methods, it would be beneficial to be able to control how the message gets reported.  Specifically sometimes I would like to automatically add the message into the "ignored" list. 

Reasoning -- I have determined that there is a problem with the code, but based on other stuff I think the user really intended and needs the code written this way, so I still want to flag that I found it, but have it in the ignores list so that the user won't by default see the reported message, but if they go to the ignored list they can see it.

Example: If I were doing the #NoValidation directive from scratch, I would have written the rule such that if the "expression validates correctly" rule would check the expression validity regardless of any #NoValidation directives.  Then it would report the message (assuming it has a validation error).  If the expression contained #NoValidation it would be automatically put into the "ignore" list.  This way we have the ability to see that the expression did not validate properly, but recognize that the user has included a flag in their code to specify "this is OK and I want to ignore it" so it goes into the ignored list. -- All done automatically by the analyzer code module without the user having to manually click on the ignore menu item in the Analysis Results window.

1 Comment
Elaine_R.
Active Participant

I've also encountered this especially when working with Runstate.* expressions in process models & Report utilities. I get a bunch of warnings/rule failures for 'cannot evaluate expression' because the content only exists at runtime, which I then go through and manually re-approve & ignore every time I analyze.

I don't want a blanket 'allow runstate expressions to pass' because, afterall I might fat finger something by accident when writing new expressions, but if I could flag a step or expression field with some extra attribute for 'don't check again unless explicitly asked to 'check all''  that'd be a great hidden feature for CTAs 😉

in the rule there could then be a configuration for 'check even items that are flagged as ignore' that by default is off but could be enabled if I wanted to overrule the scattered attribute flags for a 1x a month deep dive.