NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flaborde

Smart rename for variables

Currently, when you rename a variable, you have to rename all the places where you are using the variable manually. It would be helpful to have a "smart rename" option which, after renaming the variable will update its uses.

smart_rename.png

7 Comments
Josh_W
Active Participant

I think Find & Replace does most of what you're asking for.  Also, even if this were implemented, a user would still have to manually go and change any code modules that referenced that variable.

Josh W.
Certified TestStand Architect
Formerly blue
Matt_Cotton
NI Employee (retired)

I completely disagree. "Rename/Refactor" has been an extremely useful feature in many Development Environments even though Find & Replace has been around for many years. I don't see a reason why a "Rename/Refactor/Smart Rename" function couldn't when a variable is renamed, intellingently rename the variable in all contexts including Code Modules.

EMR

Even nicer, if this smart feature was  also able to tell you when you had an orphen variable too i.e. one that's no longer used anywhere in the current sequence.  Sure it'd never be 100% accurate, since you theorhetically could reach across sequences via API and be clever, but even if it was just a subtle 'fyi, i don't think this is used anymore' hint as a color change or alert symbol...  that could be very useful during development and leverages the same basic underlying connection tracing...

Cheers,
Elaine R.
www.bloomy.com
flaborde

EMR: You can do that with the TestStand Sequence Analyzer included in TestStand 2010 and later.

netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
Sam_Sharp
Trusted Enthusiast

I don't consider this to be fully implemented - for example, you can't smart-rename a variable into/out-of a container.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)